Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

The Skinny on BU College of General Studies?

MJayMJay Posts: 88Registered User Junior Member
edited May 2012 in Boston University
Could somebody please provide me with a comprehensive explanation of the College of General Studies at Boston University?

I plan on applying to BU's College of Communication, but I'm not very confident in my credentials. However, now that I've seen the "Class Profile" of the College of General Studies, which I find significantly more comforting to me, I'm considering just applying to the CGS instead. This leads me into my main question...

If a student applies to a specific college at BU other than CGS, (like CAS, COM, etc) and is rejected, but would have been accepted to CGS if they had applied there instead, will they be offered admissions to CGS for sure, or only in some cases?
Post edited by MJay on

Replies to: The Skinny on BU College of General Studies?

• B05T0NB05T0N Posts: 945- Member
    Yes, if you apply elsewhere, you'll almost always be offered a spot at CGS. I'm a current CGS student (for now). Ask away.
  • MJayMJay Posts: 88Registered User Junior Member
    Awesome! Thanks for popping in haha

When you attend CGS, are you asked to declare a major right away? As a CGS student, is your course schedule different in any way? And finally, as a standard question that I ask most people at any university, do you have any grievances or complaints with the CGS or the guidance therein?

Thanks again for volunteering the info.
    Everyone in CGS has the same schedule freshman year and no one has a major. I have no complaints with CGS, but I dont really like the program.
  • r1d3snor1d3sno Posts: 139Registered User Junior Member
    your course schedule is not that different it is just "prestructured" for you..everyone in cgs has to select a variety of premade block schedules made up of four courses for freshman year (rhetoric, natural science, social science, humanities)..your second semester of freshman year your start taking elective class outside of CGS..you do not have to declare a major..but usually students who know what they want to do start taking electives towards their major's requirements
  • MJayMJay Posts: 88Registered User Junior Member
    Okay, thanks for the information.

Does Boston University allow students to transfer out of CGS before they have completed two years in the program? If so, is it difficult to do so?
    I'm likely about to do so.
  • almostlikethelynalmostlikethelyn Posts: 16Registered User New Member
    It's virtually impossible to leave CGS to go to another college within BU before your two years are up.

You can do as Boston is now doing, though, and transfer schools.
    I dont think it's possible to leave CGS before two years for another BU school...
  • deedee08deedee08 Posts: 60Registered User Junior Member
    so my question is the same as someone above. i really want to apply to CAS but im afraid that i wont get in witha 3.6 Gpa however my ec's, recs and essays i think will make up for it but i still am worried. so the question i ask is if i apply to CAS and am rejected do i get offered a spot at CGS?
  • LergnomLergnom Posts: 6,269Registered User Senior Member
    Generally, unless your test scores are way off, a 3.6 is going to get in many places, CAS included. If not, you would likely be offered CGS.

And no, it's not possible to switch out of CGS before 2 years. It's a 2 year program. You then go into another BU school and graduate from that school.
  • uniqueangleuniqueangle Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    can you directly apply to cgs ? or are you just offered it?
    You can apply directly, yes.
  • woo.designswoo.designs Posts: 196Registered User Junior Member
    If you apply directly to CGS, how much better are your chances of getting in?
  • elise336elise336 Posts: 11Registered User New Member
    B05T0N, why is it that you don't really like CGS program?
  • sara777sara777 Posts: 26Registered User New Member
    I was just admitted to CGS, but I really wanted Sargent College. Would you recommend still going?