I plan on majoring in biochem and eventually doing something with neuro. My reason for going to Brown is that it will allow me to delve into my interests in science (bio, biochem, neuro,) while simultaneously my interests in politics, as both are wonderful there and I'm obsessed with both. Additionally, as per the necessary cliches: I love the atmosphere, the city, and my brother recently graduated (honors, manga cum laude etc.) from there and he can't tell me more about the school he hasn't already. I plan on applying to there ED, however that decision sways depending on my mood with U of C. SATs: Reasoning:
1990; M 700, CR 650, W 640. Terrible. By far the worst part of my application and I plan on retaking them in November for a better score. SAT IIs: Biology
- 750, and waiting on Math II from earlier today, I pessimistically estimate a 650 because of my inability to remember simple payment and sequence formulas. I took Lit but after some test problems I would be surprised with a >600. I will be retaking this and MII after November. ACTs:
Taking them for the first time in 21 days. APs: Biology
- 5, AP USH
- 4. My school only allows us 8 90 min blocks a year and APs are 90 min all year, so taking four APs would max out my schedule. Coincidentally, I'm taking four now, senior year: AP Chem, Calc BC, Eng Lit, Phys B
. This is, in absolute, the hardest possible course load my school offers of the hardest classes. UnW GPA:
4.0, although subject to change after this year (hard classes, toll on GPA.) W GPA:
4.3 school scale, 4.7 using [see link at bottom to save space]
on a 5 point scale; cumulative average 101. My school caps at 4.0 UnW and 4.3 W. (Class) Rank:
9th out of 270, although subject to change after this semester due to low grades (B+ unw average[?]) Freshman year course load:
Eng (H) A
History (H) A
Spanish II (H) (the bane of my existence) A-
Earth/Space Sci A+
Health (45 min class) A
Comp. Tech (45 min class) A+
Art (45 min class) A
Gym (45 min class) A
Rank: 22 Sophomore year course load:
Eng (H) A
History (H) A
Civics (45 min class) A+
Spanish III (H) (the bane of my existence) A-
Geometry (H) A
Alg II (H) A
Biology (no H option) A
Chem (H) A
Gym (45 min class) A
Rank: 17 Junior year course load:
Eng (H) A
AP USH (1st/2nd semester) A+/A+
Spanish IV (H) (the bane of my existence) A-
Precalc (H) A
AP Biology (1st/2nd semester) A/A
Physics 1 (H) A
Begged administration for gym waiver, received one.
Rank: 9 Senior year course load: (no grades reported)
Begged administration for gym waiver again, received one again. Extra-curricular:
- 4 year, 3 season runner on Cross Country, Indoor and Outdoor Track teams. Currently three-season captain for senior year. Runner/alternate of two (soon to be three) All-State teams. Volunteered ~80 hours over the course of 3 years.
- 4 year member of Model UN club, bequeathed to be delegate for United States senior year. Trained to moderate meetings and have moderated meetings of region-wide Model-UN conferences. Serving member as one of Secretaries-General (leadership/coordinating team).
- Post-Junior, Pre-Senior summer unpaid intern for US-MA Senate and MA State-Rep candidates. 195 hours over 7 weeks (averaged about 30 hrs a week). Organized, led, and coordinated phone banks, canvasses, events and managed relatively sensitive data entry for both candidates. Additionally, volunteered at local hospital (3 hrs a week max [silly rule]) for 21 hours total.
- Wrote, and masterminded awareness program for, petition (~25%, 250 students, of student body signed) junior year to end Board of Selectman/Teacher's Union contract freeze (I could talk all day about this). Letter to the Editor published in town newspaper.
- National Honors Society member (only exists late junior year to senior year)
- Founder of Science Club at school (senior year- see notes at bottom)
- MA Boys-State.
- Miscellaneous tutoring (invited to tutor for school tutor program). Awards:
- Wheaton book award for "most likely to research and discover something new"
- Varsity Cross Country, Indoor/Outdoor track since sophomore year.
- Model UN "most improved delegate" "outstanding delegate" and delegate for USA, most powerful nation in club. Essays:
Very good and unique essays.
- Travelling (how one specific, unique experience--not the usual "my trip to [insert far away place here]..."--led me to science)
- My petition, politics, working on a campaign in reality and speech writer/campaign leader for failed and fake Boys State candidacies. Recommendations:
I trust the two teachers I chose to write me good recommendations, I received an A and A+ in their classes. Notes:
Due to the contract freeze (for almost two years!), no new additions to teacher's contracts could be made. This resulted in clubs and other student activities being barred from creation, leaving my club ideas behind in the dust and their eventual success appearing to be college app fodder.
Brother recently graduated from Brown.
Immigrant - brother and I born in another country, moved to America when I was 3. Parents both MDs with published articles from a non-English and non-South-East Asian country.
High-upper middle class, white, no financial aid necessary. T
hank you very much for reading. You are doing every frantic senior and junior a service required to soothe our anxious minds.
If you don't mind, please, chance me?
link referenced above: http://www.californiacolleges.edu/ad...asp#calculator
EDIT: made pretty.