Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

accepted to Princeton...rejected at brown

cablegatecablegate Posts: 69Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2007 in Brown University
I got accepted to Princeton, Dartmouth, Columbia, Yale, and Wait-listed at Harvard but, REJECTED at Brown! how is this possible?!
Post edited by cablegate on

Replies to: accepted to Princeton...rejected at brown

• alvyyalvyy Posts: 139Registered User Junior Member
    Are you trying to imply that Brown is inferior to those schools? They are all difficult to get into. If you get into any of those schools, in no way does that imply admission to another school of that caliber. You probably aren't a great fit for Brown. You have some great choices there so good luck in your decision!
  • modestmelodymodestmelody Posts: 4,651Registered User Senior Member
    Probably because you don't belong here the way you belong there?
  • shelf-lifeshelf-life Posts: 83Registered User Junior Member
    Although acceptance at one ivy league school certainly does not guarantee acceptance at another ivy league school, it does strike me as just a bit odd that you were accepted to Yale and Princeton yet not to Brown. I have two theories on this, the first is that there is often a "joker" in the pack and more often than not that is Brown. Brown does tend to be looking for something just slightly different from some of the other schools you applied to.

The second thought is that I am wondering if you applied to the plme program. I ask this because I wonder if admissions might assume that very strong candidates who apply for plme really only want Brown for plme and if they admit them to to Brown, but not into that particular program, that they are probably going to go elsewhere. This is just my theory, but I've wondered if applying to plme can become a bit of a liability for otherwise particularly strong candidates.
  • elpopeelpope Posts: 326Registered User Member
    hey guys. it could be the simple fact that admissions can be RANDOM sometimes! ****!@
  • Tater ChipsTater Chips Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    The OP writes:
    "I got accepted to Princeton, Dartmouth, Columbia, Yale, and Wait-listed at Harvard but, REJECTED at Brown! how is this possible?!"

Well, smell you! With an attitude like that, perhaps you BELONG at what you apparently deem superior schools. It seems a little foolish that you would come on the BROWN board and insult us with your attitude! Brown knows what it's doing......and while, YES, you have to be very bright to be admitted to Brown, you also have to be a little less full of yourself! The Brown community prides itself on being just a little different and just a little less snooty! :-0
  • ramaswamiramaswami Posts: 665Registered User Member
    I am the father of a senior accepted at Brown, Columbia, UPenn, Duke but rejected Stanford, Harvard, waitlisted Princeton. I do have a feeling, perhaps wrongly, that Brown is in some sense less selective, if you will. All over the world, there is an institutional pedigree reputational effect in favor of HYP. Having said all this, I am told Brown is a quirky school that picks interesting kids. My son is very staid, high scores , impeccable academics but does not come across as leader, or interesting. So I am surprised and never thought this would happen but please describe Brown more so we can understand if there would be a fit. Thanks.
  • profanityprofanity Posts: 98Registered User Junior Member
    Oh.... I think some of the people in this thread is overreacting. It's not an attitude. It's a question that everyone would have asked, had they been in the same situation. I mean. It's a well-known FACTS that Brown's acceptance rate is higher than all of those schools, with the exception of Dartmouth. However, it is also not impossible for such event to happen. So, I think that some of the reactions here are kind of too much.
    PS: I am a Brown Student
  • brand_182brand_182 Posts: 7,589Registered User Senior Member
    how is this possible

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/departments/college/?article=10schoolsToughesttoGetInto07

Based on whatever criteria they used, Brown is the 4th hardest college to get into. Surely, if you've been admitted to Princeton/Yale/etc., you realize that these schools are now pretty equal in terms of competitiveness. Admission into one should not leave you expecting admission to another, just as admission to Harvard should not leave you thinking you'll get into Princeton for sure.
  • slipper1234slipper1234 Posts: 9,085Registered User Senior Member
    Their criteria is garbage. WashU harder than Columbia and Dartmouth? They're kidding themselves.
  • cablegatecablegate Posts: 69Registered User Junior Member
    okay, i admit that i sounded pretentious, i was just a little shocked, didn't mean to insult the brown students especially because brown was my first choice so if i was in fact insulting them i would be a bit of a hypocrite. WashU just wait lists all their top candidates,thats why its considered "toughest to get into."
  • brand_182brand_182 Posts: 7,589Registered User Senior Member
    Their criteria is garbage. WashU harder than Columbia and Dartmouth? They're kidding themselves

True, but is Brown not among the hardest schools to gain admission to in the nation? Certainly top 10. That is my point.

Cablegate - WashU does waitlist a lot of people. However, when "waitlist" becomes practically synonymous with "rejection," I don't see how WashU is any different from other top schools. Either way, a small percentage gains admission.
  • cablegatecablegate Posts: 69Registered User Junior Member
    i actually read an article about how they wait list all their top candidates who are applying to WashU as a safety. i believe this is the link:
    http://media.www.studlife.com/media/storage/paper337/news/2003/04/04/Opinion/The-Best.Come.In.Second-408903.shtml
  • modestmelodymodestmelody Posts: 4,651Registered User Senior Member
    I didn't mean to come across as critical, I just happen to think Brown looks to engineer a specific class of people with specific characteristics that they think people who can uniquely take advantage of Brown have.

I just think it's all about finding qualified students who are going to do something at Brown they can't do somewhere else.
  • fredmurtz2fredmurtz2 Posts: 421Registered User Member
    I am sick about these nonsense discussions about who is more competitive/prestigious etc. If you want to discuss Brown as an institution rather than as a trophy let me know. If you don't want to come though someone else gladly will take your place.

Honestly, You don't belong here. Here's a clue for you....If you made a list that just read the list of Ivies it reflects a problematic misunderstanding of Brown's academic mission and feel.

It is a reflection of a society which places a greater value on image than on reality which leads to these nonsense threads wasting your time, money and effort...Look under the labels and do some DD beyond reputation.

For gods sake, start living your life on your own terms whatever that means to you and stop living it on other peoples' or you will be very miserable.

Learn the lesson now or never. Your call.
  • Brunonian2010Brunonian2010 Posts: 124Registered User Junior Member
    well said fred!