Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Teacher Recommendations

stressed!!!stressed!!! Posts: 328Registered User Member
edited December 2009 in Brown University
Can I send two teacher recommendations? I can't decide between my two favorite teachers. They each know me in a different way and would provide totally different recommendations. Also, I would feel awful not asking one of them to write my letter. Is it possible to send two?
Post edited by stressed!!! on

Replies to: Teacher Recommendations

• modestmelodymodestmelody Posts: 4,651Registered User Senior Member
    In fact, you need to send two. And if you're applying for science like I did, you'll need to send 3. I think I ended up sending 5.
  • stressed!!!stressed!!! Posts: 328Registered User Member
    You aren't counting counselor recommendation right? I am applying for science so I need 3 teacher recs and a counselor rec?
    Also where does it say this on the website or the application I cant find it. Thanks
  • franglishfranglish Posts: 2,308Registered User Senior Member
    May I submit additional letters of recommendation?

In our experience, the required counselor recommendation and two teacher recommendations provide all we need to make a thoughtful, informed admission decision. Additional letters tend only to echo the observations we already have in hand, so we do not encourage you to seek out extra letters. If, however, someone has unique knowledge of your strengths or accomplishments that would not be addressed in the required recommendations, you are welcome to have another person write on your behalf. Keep in mind, though, that a stack of extra letters will almost never influence an admission officer in a positive way.

The above is from the Brown Admission Site. I found it by searching "Teacher Recommendation" in the search bar on the Undergraduate Admission page. And, as Modest says, for science you need 3.
    where does it say i need 3 for science?
  • DynamitDynamit Posts: 27Registered User New Member
    bump...
    I just want to make sure...is it really 3 teacher + 1 counselor minimum for science majors?
    From looking at the site I've found only what franglish quoted - 2 teacher + 1 counselor.
    (I'm putting computer science major on my application)
  • DynamitDynamit Posts: 27Registered User New Member
    sorry double post
    Hey I got accepted and I only ended up sending 2 teacher recommendations and my counselor recommendation.
  • AyiaAyia Posts: 108Registered User Junior Member
    Hey what should I write in the major choice ?? I want to take the premed courses :S
  • julibellejulibelle Posts: 131Registered User Junior Member
    Does Brown specify that the two teachers who write your recs need to have taught you in academic subjects? For example, if I want one of my recs to come from a history teacher and the other to come from my choir director (who knows me very well and has had me in music theory class as well as in extra-curriculars), would that be acceptable?
  • fireandrainfireandrain Posts: 3,313Registered User Senior Member
    Julibelle: yes, Brown specifies that teacher recs come from academic subjects, http://www.brown.edu/Administration/Admission/appforms/secure/components.html:
    You should select two teachers who have taught you in major academic subjects (science, social studies, mathematics, foreign language, English) to complete recommendations for you. ... Note: if you are considering the Sc.B. degree or applying to the PLME program, at least one of your recommendations should come from a math or science teacher.

On the question of two or three recs if applying for science: the application changed since modestmelody applied. From what I can tell, there only needs to be two teacher recs now, although one must be from a science teacher.

Ayia: There is no such thing as a pre-med concentration at Brown. There are courses you must take if you are planning on applying to med school. But you can concentrate in anything from English to women's studies to neuroscience. So only you can decide what major to put down.
  • Brownie56Brownie56 Posts: 88Registered User Junior Member
    I sent 4 teacher recs (2 math, 1 science, 1 English) and got in. So yes, you can send 2.:P
  • KnownasnoniKnownasnoni Posts: 39Registered User Junior Member
    I sent three. My counselor advised me to send three letters from each of the following areas: English, Math, and Science if possible.