Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

BA vs. BS in Biology

fighterfleafighterflea Posts: 12Registered User New Member
edited May 2009 in Bucknell University
S interested in pre-med and currently selecting first year courses is interested in feedback whether BA (1st choice) or a BS (2nd choice) in Biology offers advantages for those seeking med school in the future. Could be grads are better equipped than current students to offer advice. BA appears to offer greater flexibility in choice of electives. Does BS offer other compensations?

Comments?
Post edited by fighterflea on

Replies to: BA vs. BS in Biology

• aberdeenaberdeen Posts: 103Registered User Junior Member
    I'm a Bio major who is seeking a BA--and I'm a Pre Med. The only difference between Bio BA and Bio BS is that a Bio BA has eight courses required to the Bio BS has 9. I'm going into my third year at Bucknell and so far things are going great. The Biology Dept is a super "hands on" department as is the advising with the Pre Meds which is almost 1 on 1--the advisor is great, accessible, and answers questions for everyone. There is not much that will be required of you as a "pre med" until your junior year. Take the courses you feel most comfortable with in addition--to the requisite courses for graduation, and the required courses that will lead you to taking a shot at being accepted to medical school--1 year of chem, 1 year of physics, 1 year of math--your four basic biology courses, lit course, humanities, etc. I have taken some very challenging philosophy courses, as well, as a challenging literature course this past semester--and I know that my thinking and writing have become better as I get ready to take the MCAT next spring--which is really a critical thinking test. Bucknell is competitive and know that getting an A/A- in your classes will require you to put in the prep and study time. At times you might be even envious of the people in humanities--because of the hours you will spend in the lab--but hey!--you're the one choosing what's best for you. Most of all--take time for yourself--get out and meet people, join a club or two--(I belong to a club that has been fun, I play a club sport, and I have joined a fraternity. I do study quite a bit-- a lot--but I have been good at organizing my time during the past two years here. I feel fortunate to be getting an education at Bucknell and I have been on the Dean's List for four consecutive semesters. Enjoy college--and take it one day, one semester, one year at a time. Don't get too hung up on medicine--or the future--just give your best each day--and allow yourself time to experience all of the great things about Bucknell.
  • fighterfleafighterflea Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    Thank you Aberdeen. I'll share your message with my son. Back in the day, I was one of those humanities majors at BU you refer to but, like many now, I was double majoring and probably envious of someone else's circumstances.

Thanks for the reply and best of luck to you.