Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

what about double majoring in business administration and actuarial science?

RupertHentzauRupertHentzau Posts: 9Registered User New Member
edited September 2011 in Business Major
i will attend at the american university in cairo (AUC) . AUC's business school is considered the best one in the middle east and Africa according to QS Global 200 Business Schools Report.
and AUC is an aacsb accredited university.
my question is is it a good idea to double major in business administration with a concentration in finance / actuarial science??????????
i hope to get a superior gpa score of more than 3.8 or 3.9.
and my high school gpa score is equivalent to 3.78 out of 4.
Post edited by RupertHentzau on

Replies to: what about double majoring in business administration and actuarial science?

• RupertHentzauRupertHentzau Posts: 9Registered User New Member
    waiting for your replies , please help me because the fall semester will begin soooon .
  • floridadad55floridadad55 Posts: 2,262Registered User Senior Member
    I know a kid who majored in math, and got a job at 100k right out of college in actuarial science.
  • workingATbig4workingATbig4 Posts: 317Registered User Member
    ^^Really? That's pretty astounding. School I went to has a great actuary program and salary range for this year topped out at $65k.

How many parts of the exam did he/she pass? What school was this?
  • RupertHentzauRupertHentzau Posts: 9Registered User New Member
    please help me because i googled it and didn't find any opinion about this combo so please help me
  • GLOBALTRAVELERGLOBALTRAVELER Posts: 2,844Registered User Senior Member
    Since actuarial science is basically a math major, you should have enough free credits to fit in a nice business concentration within the same 120 semester/180 quarter hours.

Besides, an actuarial science (or math with actuarial science emphasis) program will have some finance/econ courses required anyway.
  • jaysorenson19jaysorenson19 Posts: 195Registered User Junior Member
    "I know a kid who majored in math, and got a job at 100k right out of college in actuarial science."

Doubt it...
  • jaysorenson19jaysorenson19 Posts: 195Registered User Junior Member
    As for the OP, yes that sounds like a good double major combo.
  • OminousRunOminousRun Posts: 690Registered User Member
    I could see an actuarial science grad getting a 100k job right out of college, but only if they passed 5 actuary exams, worked 3 summers as an actuarial intern, and were working in an expensive city like New York. The odds of this happening are relatively slim....but I suppose it's possible.

Other than that, the reasonable expectations for a recent grad in Actuarial Science with 1 exam passed is around $55K per year. However, Actuary entry level jobs are becoming more difficult to obtain.

And FWIW, the exams are very difficult. Lots of self study required for those exams.
  • illinifan200583illinifan200583 Posts: 143Registered User Junior Member
    my brother was in actuarial science freshman year and switched to statistics because it was too difficult. He passed one exam and took the second exam like 3 times and the money adds up for paying each exam and losing that money if u don't pass. He didn't see himself being able to pass all those exams because if u don't pass those exams you're out of luck for a good job. No doubt actuaries can make a ton of money but u can also spend the majority of your career trying to pass those exams and earn more money. Don't just do it for the money because trust me it's not worth it when ur 70 and trying to pass an exam still.
  • MontrealManHoMontrealManHo Posts: 35Registered User Junior Member
    The exams are very hard. They have a pass rate of around 40-50% and in each of the advanced exams you are competing against the best 40-50% people from the previous exam. Think about it.

As for getting $100k out of college, yes I know someone like that but he graduated with 5 exams and had 2 internships, a perfect 4.0 GPA and he relocated to New York.

In every other place you can expect to make $50-60k with 5 exams. BUT to pass these exams you have to give up on your social life (no time for friends and family).

To make matters worse, I know people who gave up on their social life and passed exams while in school but then while working they lacked basic social skills and were given lowball offers of $40k.

It's a very hard field, harder than Law. The worst thing is that no one knows who you are and what you do. So even if you make good money, people won't know that.