Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Management Consulting

shadowsnuzzyshadowsnuzzy Posts: 44Registered User Junior Member
edited October 2012 in Business Major
What are the lowest ranking schools top firms such as Bain, BCG, and McKinsey recruit from? I know they recruit from the ivy's but what other schools that are easier to get into do they recruit from?

What about the other 4, Deloitte, Booz & Company, PWC, and Monitor Group?
Post edited by shadowsnuzzy on

Replies to: Management Consulting

• angryelfangryelf Posts: 506- Member
    There are tons of great management consulting firms. Why are you limiting yourself to those 7?

Also, the inclusion of PWC

Have you looked at Oliver Wyman, LEK, Parthenon, AT Kearney,Marakon, Berger or even ZS I guess? I feel like they all have a better reputation than pwc if that's all you care about.

As for getting a position from a lower ranked school, for MBB, you essentially need a 3.6-3.7 from a school like Cornell to even get an interview. I'm sure they recruit outside of the top schools, but you truly need to be at the absolute top of your class.
  • goose7856goose7856 Posts: 529Registered User Member
    Go read the company websites. It lists the schools they recruit.
  • CFB53BCFB53B Posts: 327Registered User Member
    MBB hire from public schools, which is the easiest route for admissions. All three visit UNC, UVA, Michigan, GT, and Berkeley (among a few others).
  • domrom1domrom1 Posts: 458Registered User Member
    Any chance to break into management consulting as an Accounting student at Baruch?
  • angryelfangryelf Posts: 506- Member
    Nope, the entire industry consulting collectively made an agreement a few years back not to accept anyone who has even stepped foot on Baruch's campus.
  • hkem123hkem123 Posts: 621Registered User Member
    ^^ It really put a damper on Baruch's reputation.
  • domrom1domrom1 Posts: 458Registered User Member
    Angryelf, I was more referring to the fact that I would be an Accounting student more so than the fact that I would be a Baruch student. I wasn't sure what degrees are preferred. Sorry for the lack of clarity.
  • shadowsnuzzyshadowsnuzzy Posts: 44Registered User Junior Member
    I was just giving some examples, I'm wondering about all good firms in general. So getting a good GPA in a non-top school is still acceptable?
  • CFB53BCFB53B Posts: 327Registered User Member
    So getting a good GPA in a non-top school is still acceptable?

No. To have any shot in management consulting, you need to attend a target school. The target schools include top schools, but not necessarily all are Ivy League schools. Some (a very small number mentioned above) top public schools are included.

If you attend a non-target, even if it's a good school (let's say Penn State), you have virtually no chance of getting hired at a management consulting firm unless you're a Rhodes Scholar.

Accounting firms are a different beast because they hire more people, so they will go to non-top schools. However, the salaries and work are very different.
  • shadowsnuzzyshadowsnuzzy Posts: 44Registered User Junior Member
    How is recruitment from schools like University of Washington, Santa Clara University, and maybe even University of British Columbia? (Canada)