Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Finance PhD

quagmire123quagmire123 Posts: 271Registered User Junior Member
edited March 2006 in Business Major
I know there's a huge difference between getting an MBA vs. a PhD in Finance (the latter is more theoretical, more academic, etc). But do most people who get their Finance PhD end up in a teaching position? How unusual is it for someone to go into the private sector? Also, is it an advantage for certain positions in the private sector to have a Finance PhD vs. an MBA?

I've heard those who receive their PhD in economics usually get jobs as professors, but I'm just curious if it's the same with finance. Thanks.
Post edited by quagmire123 on

Replies to: Finance PhD

• everythingeverything Posts: 109. Junior Member
    PHD's in finance are usually pretty worthless in the business world. You'd be better off with a HD in quantitive analysis
  • 311Griff311Griff Posts: 1,586Registered User Senior Member
    Let's see... since a PhD in Finance is not a common occurence (usually because a bachelor's in finance or accounting will suffice for most professional work in these fields), the starting salary for a Finance professor with such credentials is usually above $100,000.
  • quagmire123quagmire123 Posts: 271Registered User Junior Member
    Just clarifying, does "HD" stand for "honorary degree?"
  • everythingeverything Posts: 109. Junior Member
    You know something. I think I had some of the best professors I will ever have at a community college who didnt't have PHD's.

Think about this for a minute. I had proffessors who were CPA's and MBA's from top schools. I had a finance proffessor who was a baner at a bulge bracket firm years ago. a Professor who was the CFO at a fortune 100 company. Another who was partner at a a big 8 accounting firm. (yes I know it's not 8 anymore, he's retired and a professor now)

Now these guys won't get hired at many 4 year universities because they don't have PHD's. So when looking at these school I see all these PHD's professors who havn't accomplished anything worthwile in the business world. So I go from learning about business from a former fortune 100 CFO to learning about business from somebody that hasn't done anything but sat in a classroom his whole life.

I think in a lot of cases the better professors are at community colleges, they are retired REAL business men, not just peop[le who studies theory in a book but have no real valuable experience.