Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Reality vs. Expectations? (Accouting/Finance/Marketing//etcBUSINESSMAJORS)

lululemonxxlululemonxx Registered User Posts: 189 Junior Member
can someone please give me a reality vs expectations slap in the face?

I'm a sophomore in college pursuing a "business degree" (most likely accounting or finance)...and this is what i have in my head. Ideally, I would get a job at like Goldman Sachs and make thousands a year.

BUT REALISTICALLY>>>

am i going to end up advertising for like ADS on TV... handing out papers and trying to get people to sign up for blah blah blah...

What's the real side to a business degree. Will...most...get a practical job? Or is that mostly just glamorized? What do you guys think?

Replies to: Reality vs. Expectations? (Accouting/Finance/Marketing//etcBUSINESSMAJORS)

• happy1happy1 Registered User Posts: 17,585 Senior Member
    Reality is somewhere in between. Few few get the super-high paying jobs at places like Goldman, but if you do well in an accounting program and get a CPA you should have a solid career path.
    As an aside, to become a CPA now you need 150 credits -- many go on for a one year MS in Accounting to satisfy this but it may be able to be met with AP credits, summer courses etc. (check your state board requirements)
  • arc918arc918 Registered User Posts: 659 Member
    Agreed - get good grades and work toward your CPA. Get on with a Big 4 if possible.

You can spend your entire career in public accounting, go into industry or use it a base to head elsewhere in business. I think you will always be well served by having a CPA license.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.