Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Looking for colleges that offer Sports Marketing Undergrad degree

ebayispayingforcollegeebayispayingforcollege Posts: 273Registered User Junior Member
edited June 2012 in Business Major
I tried googling this information, the only school I came up with is Indiana. My son (a sophomore) just won the regionals at DECA in Sports Marketing Individual competion on his first try and is going to state. He really is focused on this specific field. Of course Wharton will be his high reach school, UB (Suny) his 2nd choice. Any other schools that are strong in this field? We would like to begin checking the various programs and curricula to see what will be a good fit.
Post edited by ebayispayingforcollege on

Replies to: Looking for colleges that offer Sports Marketing Undergrad degree

• ajp87ajp87 Posts: 403Registered User Member
    look at Ithaca College. The have an excellent Sports Management program. It touches upon the marketing aspect but there is no designed major just for sports marketing. I would suggest looking into it anyway.
    Actually now that I think about it, it offers a great Sports Media program which would probalby be what he's looking for.
  • SoCal18SoCal18 Posts: 1,674Registered User Senior Member
  • Cards4LifeCards4Life Posts: 1,211Registered User Senior Member
    I second University of Oregon. Sports Marketing is a fairly uncommon major but Sports Management/Administration is more common. If I was a resident of Oregon, I'd go there in a heartbeat but b/c of costs I can't. So I'm doing my undergrad in marketing/management (haven't decided, currently Freshman) and then will pursue a grad degree in one of the two. But to each his own. Sports Marketing/Management is a growing industry and best of luck to your son!
  • ebayispayingforcollegeebayispayingforcollege Posts: 273Registered User Junior Member
    Thank you, great leads. University of Oregon does seem to have the unusual speciallty program he would like.

Ithaca does indeed have a nice program, a BS in Sport Management. The only thing is the program is not in the business school. You kind of want a bit of a fall back as a parent to get some other business courses for flexiblity after graduation. Yes, Ithaca will be added to his list - it is close to us here in NY as well.
    At Ithaca, he could minor in business administration quite easily. Also many of my friends at IC in the sports management program took many of the same classes as i did (a business admin major). The college is adamant about keeping the program in the school of HSHP, but it really is more closely linked to the business school than the naked-eyed observer would suspect.
  • forgivenforgiven Posts: 1,690Registered User Senior Member
    the university of michigan offers a sports management concentration.
  • taxguytaxguy Posts: 6,516Registered User Senior Member
    Towson University in Maryland.
  • kbcool7778kbcool7778 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    I was also wondering which school is the best school for sports marketing/management. I am an upcoming senior who's thinking to major in sports marketing/management. Which is the most known college for this major??
  • osubucks89osubucks89 Posts: 19Registered User New Member
    Bowling Green State University in Ohio is pretty big with this field.
  • ebayispayingforcollegeebayispayingforcollege Posts: 273Registered User Junior Member
    My son was accepted in Indiana's Kelley School of buisness and he is beyond pleased at what the curriculum offers and the flexiblity of what courses he can take. Now he plans to mix Marketing, Entertainment Business and Sports Marketing. They have a wonderful freshman program there as well.
    Good luck to all!
  • springisintheairspringisintheair Posts: 448Registered User Member
    Sacred Heart is a mid-sized college in CT with a very good business school, Jon Welch School of Business with a solid Sports Management program - available with other minors as well, and excellent internship and alumni relationships.
  • tenrag65tenrag65 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    Congratulations to your son!(ebayispayingforcollege) My son is now a senior and also very interested in Sports Marketing -an avid viewer of all sorts of sports. He's taken every mktg course in HS offered, even one in Sports Mktg. Now looking for schools in and around Texas that offer it, only one we found is SFA, but we want to find something that will be solid in Business and well recognized. May end up going for just a Bus mktg degree at UNT, will look at all those mentioned in this discussion though. Thanks!
  • alphebetalphebet Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    Georgia Southern has a very extensive Sports Management Major. You can even get your masters in it. Plus, it offers many Intership oppritunities with teams like the Atlanta Falcons, Braves, Hawks and many Sports Marketing firms
  • ebruinebruin Posts: 114Registered User Junior Member
    i am a student at a high school in california and looking for colleges that offer a mba in sports marketing or managment. if you know of of any please reply