Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

UC and CSU business school ranking

NicushorNicushor Posts: 36Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2009 in Business Major
Hi,

I want to follow a path in investment management. At the moment i am enrolled as an international student in a Cal CC and planning about transfer. I will apply to OOS finance schools but due to the fact that i have a lot more chances to transfer in California i am researching about local programs. I am confused because all uc have either business administration, business economics or management. Would my degree in this areas be worth in IM?

Rank please this schools (in tiers or numbers):

Berkeley (Haas; Business Administration)
Los Angeles (BizEcon)
San Diego (Management)
Davis (Managerial economics)
Santa Barbara (Business economics)
Irvine (Business administration)
Santa Cruz (Management)
Riverside (Business management)
Merced (Management)
SDSU - commonly known as best CSU for business
Post edited by Nicushor on

Replies to: UC and CSU business school ranking

• ifailedcalculusifailedcalculus Posts: 180Registered User Junior Member
    My opinion

1) Berkeley (Haas; Business Administration)
    2) Los Angeles (BizEcon)
    3) San Diego (Management)
    Davis (Managerial economics)
    Santa Barbara (Business economics)
    5) Irvine (Business administration)
    Santa Cruz (Management)
    Riverside (Business management)
    Merced (Management)
    4) SDSU - commonly known as best CSU for business

i don't know from 5 on. UCI's b-program is brand new, so you should ask current students how they like it.
  • openedskittlesopenedskittles Posts: 954Registered User Member
    ^ There you go for CA schools, this should give you somewhere to look for OOS schools:
    Undergraduate business specialties: Finance - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report
  • NicushorNicushor Posts: 36Registered User Junior Member
    ifailedcalculus — thank's for your opinnion
    openedskittles — thank's, i also consider The Top Undergraduate Business Programs - BusinessWeek

I am a little worried about compatibility of business, management, economics degree and investment management.
    Obviously Haas is going to give you the best opportunity to break in to an investment management career. I say UCLA and SD as second and third because they are more competitive schools than the others on the list, regardless if they offer business or not. After that, I would say your chances of breaking in are significantly lowered. You should check the career centers of each University's website and see how many students placed in corporations that have an investment management division and actually work in investment management (obviously IT work at GS is not IM). You should expand that list, and leave California for a school in the East coast, since most recruiters (many firms are from east) will not travel to schools in the west coast unless its Cal, Pomona, Stanford, Claremont McKenna, etc..
    ifailedcalculus

I understand, useful point about trips to west coast.
  • nujabes29nujabes29 Posts: 403Registered User Member
    actually CPSLO is best CSU for business -- it's ranked in the businessweek website. i think it was #70 last time i checked.
  • hmom5hmom5 Posts: 10,882- Senior Member
    Given you're international and the amount you will spend, after Haas, LA, UCSD, I'd begin looking OOS.
    ^ I would, too. Also, I would put more weight on the US News finance rankings than others.
    This is my plan in very beta version (based on your recommendations, us news & bw):

California

1. Berkeley (Haas; Business Administration) ~6% TAG
    2. Los Angeles (BizEcon) ~15% TAG
    3. San Diego (Management) :/

OOS

Tier 1

* UPenn (Wharton)
    * NYU (Stern)
    * MIT (Sloan)

Tier 2

* Michigan (Ross)
    * Texas (McCombs)

Tier 3

* Virginia (McIntire)
    * North Carolina (Kenan-Flagler)
    * Carnegie Mellon (Tepper)

Tier 4

* Indiana (Kelley)
    * Cornell (Applied Economics and Management)
    * USC (Marshall)

Tier 5

* Emory (Goizueta)
    * Georgetown (McDonough)
    * Washington (Olin)

I don't know where to put these:

Villanova school of business
    Richmond (Robins)
    Bringham Young (Marriott)

Maybe i will add some later (from uc, csu too)
  • KulakaiKulakai Posts: 1,683Registered User Senior Member
    You should figure out which schools you can and can not transfer to in order to narrow down your list. There are many different prerequisites for all of the schools you listed. For example, CMU does not accept business transfers and UMich does not accept transfer of credits from a 2 year college. USC, which you have listed as being OOS for some reason, would most likely be the easiest of the private schools to transfer to since your Cal CC curriculum is possible close to what they look for in a transfer.
    ^ Good points. USC is in Cali, but it's private, and I assume he is looking at UC and CSU schools for in-state-tuition purposes. Since USC will cost so much regardless of where you're from, it's fair to evaluate it alongside out-of-state schools.
    I'd just tack the last three on tier 5, by the way. Keep in mind that at BYU, accounting is king and you might even have better chances at high-end finance jobs if you go with that.
    Kulakai
    Thank's for the tips.

openedskittles
    I am an international student, i think regardless of the fact that i studied 2 years in Cal they will take me as an oos? or i am wrong?
    BYU may not be for everyone based on their relationship with the Church. Nicushor, yes you will get OOS tuition regardless since you are an international student, that is why you should be expanding your search of universities outside of California, especially for IM. If you give us your GPA and other significant stats, it would be easier to narrow your school list.
    ifailedcalclulus

My first semester starts this winter.

What about BYU, i am an atheist but i have no problems with beliefs of other people; what other problems may be?
  • KulakaiKulakai Posts: 1,683Registered User Senior Member
    @Nicushor - You must sign a code of ethics when you matriculate at BYU that basically states you will not consume alcohol/caffeine/tobacco on campus or risk being kicked out. This is a bit too strict for some, and for others isn't such a big deal.

Also I can't stress looking at the transfer admission requirements enough. I made the mistake of not planning out my class schedule fresh/soph year so as to be able to transfer to the widest variety of schools possible which has limited my options for transfer for next fall.