Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How to Succeed As An Accounting Major?

AAli4RealAAli4Real Posts: 374Registered User Member
edited May 2010 in Business Major
Does anyone have any tips on how to succeed as an accounting major. I know accounting can be difficult, but to those of you that have majored in accounting or have taken accounting classes, can you please post any helpful tips.

Thank You
Post edited by AAli4Real on

Replies to: How to Succeed As An Accounting Major?

• sp1212sp1212 Posts: 795Registered User Member
    Easy... Be interested in it.

If you get that funny accounting nerd feeling when you look at a company's financial statement, you'll be on the right track...okay?
  • jonahrubinjonahrubin Posts: 547Registered User Member
    It's not as hard as people make it out to be.
  • maxellismaxellis Posts: 1,172Registered User Senior Member
    There are certainly some hard parts ^^^. Tax and intermediate I & II are by no means walks in the park.

I have found the best way to study for accounting is to read the chapter, do the recommended problems, and then check to see if you got the right answers. If you didn't, just keep doing practice problems until you get them right.

(Worked for me; almost done with my accounting major with a 3.92 in accounting classes).
    They aren't that hard...besides Intermediate is pretty straightforward. By the time you've taken your first two intro classes and your first Intermediate I test, you should pretty much know exactly what you need to do in order to get your desired grade for the rest of Intermediate I and II.
  • maxellismaxellis Posts: 1,172Registered User Senior Member
    Pensions and leases are anything but straightforward (although I will agree that most other parts are).
  • DawgieDawgie Posts: 1,576Registered User Senior Member
    It's not hard, just study.
  • piguy314piguy314 Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    1. Do all reading
    2. Show up to all lectures
    3. Do all assignments
    4. Make a point to go talk to teacher during office hours even if you don't have a specific question, make one up, make the teacher notice you and realize you care.
    5. ???
    6. Profit
    Office hours are not required. My respect level for people goes way down when I know they go for extra help(in accounting anyway, I can imagine it making sense for a class where you have complicated individual projects or something like that).
  • Whistleblower1Whistleblower1 Posts: 633- Member
    To succeed, get a strong GPA.