Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

GMAT/Admissions Question

909jfk909jfk Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited December 2012 in Business School - MBA
I am going to be completing my undergraduate studies this coming may from a top 10 public university. I will graduate Summa Cum Laude (Highest Honors) as a BS in Business Administration. I recently accepted a consulting position with a well-respected Consulting Practice. I am thinking about taking the GMAT at graduation, and applying to MBA programs in 4 years of so. To get into a top 20 program, will I need to "ACE" the GMAT or would my work experience (and assuming good recommendations go along with that) and good undergrad grades make up for a "lower than average" GMAT score (I.E. scoring in the 600s rather than in the 700s)? I know other factors such as essays, interviews, etc. play a role as well. As far out as I am, I just want to get a general sense of what my expectations for the GMAT should be in light of my current profile.
Post edited by 909jfk on

Replies to: GMAT/Admissions Question

• gomestargomestar Posts: 4,699Registered User Senior Member
    some really solid and important work experience is a key part to many MBA programs, and in many ways is better than a 750+ GMAT but really spotty work experience.

Having said that, consultants make up a huge portion of the applicant pool at many top schools so I'd be really cautious about "I'm a consultant and I helped this major corporation on a project, so they'll love to see that in admissions" mentality.

And in my experience, the GMAT is a very learnable exam.
  • magician46magician46 Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    I saw the discussion on low GMAT, apparently there’s a lot to do about this, if you didn’t see this yet I recommend it: Video: Getting accepted with GMAT far below 720