Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Help with GPA calculation?

MoonlitShadowMoonlitShadow Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited November 2010 in Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
I'm seriously having trouble trying to figure out what exactly goes into configuring my Cal Poly GPA. I heard they use 9th grade grades as well, but I've never actually had this confirmed. Can someone help me out with this? I have everything else complete and I really can't wait to send out my application and start the long wait till spring haha. Thanks so much!
Post edited by MoonlitShadow on

Replies to: Help with GPA calculation?

• Socal70Socal70 Posts: 326Registered User Member
    Yes, they go back into your application and use 9th grade gpa.
  • HSeniorHSenior Posts: 18Registered User New Member
    Socal, do you know if an improvement from ninth grade to 10th and 11th grade will affect their decision?
  • Mariner116Mariner116 Posts: 219Registered User Junior Member
    I have not heard of any evidence that Cal Poly looks at GPA trends.
  • vballmomvballmom Posts: 3,130Super Moderator Senior Member
    Don't worry about calculating your exact GPA. Just enter all of your 9-11 courses and Cal Poly will recalculate your GPA according to their formula.
  • BusyMeiBusyMei Posts: 687Registered User Member
    How does Cal Poly calculate GPA?

I searched on the Cal Poly web site and tried Goggle. But I can't find anything.

Thanks.
  • Mariner116Mariner116 Posts: 219Registered User Junior Member
    BusyMei, See: How to Apply - Admissions - Cal Poly

College prep GPA Calculated by Cal Poly for 9th -11th grade coursework designated on the application (with honors points granted for courses designated as "honors," “advanced placement" or "international baccalaureate" on a high school transcript, for up to eight semesters).

Basically, they take your grades (A,B,C,D) for 3 years and award points based on the standard 4-point scale (no plus or minus so a B+ is 3 points), then add up to 8 more points for an honors, IB or AP class. This means you get some credit for taking hard classes but there is a limit on the boost they give your GPA. As I recall, the max GPA you can get is about a 4.25 (all As in all classes for 3 years with the 8 bonus points).