Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Dorm decorating - strictly enforced? What to bring?

aka_llamaaka_llama Posts: 15Registered User New Member
edited September 2006 in Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
Was wondering how strictly the dorms enforce the rules about "changing" the rooms. For example, could you put up a shelf or tv holder?

Also, what items have current students found to be the most vital/ least useful? Especially items that you didn't orignally think or or that most people wouldn't expect?

Just found out son is in Yosemite - Tower 5, 1st floor.
Post edited by aka_llama on

Replies to: Dorm decorating - strictly enforced? What to bring?

• CantbeataKTMCantbeataKTM Posts: 131Registered User Junior Member
    Some one told me I should get a water filter(main one nobody would think of). They said the water isn't all that good in the SLO dorms. Also I think i'm going to bring a nice computer chair. Gaming system...stereo...safe... But hey i havent stayed in the dorms soooooooooo...
  • CalPolyStudentCalPolyStudent Posts: 11Registered User New Member
    I was in Yosemite in 2004-05 (It's a really long walk to campus, so on the plus side: good excercise ; on the negative side: dont forget anything you need for class)
    Make sure you have:

a TV
    a mini-refridgerator (storing all of what your lovely + dollars can buy)

usually one roomate brings the TV and the other the fridge

(as a cool trick if you bring a big TV stick inside one of the closets it makes an awesome entertainment system.)

My roomate brought an Xbox, and he wasted his life till 4 am on it and got on academic probation. Likewise a lot of nerds fail out of cal poly due to gaming addiction.

Of course you should bring a computer (laptop or desktop doesnt matter)
    The chair idea is also a good one, but basic chairs are provided.
    A dry erase board for messages is also nice. As for modifications, it depends on what you do, but I think its pretty loosely enofrced. The main thing they worry about is fire hazards (so dont have a halogen lamp; they busted me for that or play with matches or be in a room when others are playing with matches; they busted this friend of mine for that) Also dont do/get caught drinking/smoking marijuana in the dorms (penalties are looser for drinking)

Thats about all I remember from my dorm experience, oh and make sure to not lock yourself out of your dorm room or lose your key, lol that happened to me when I was in the shower, had to go to the front desk in a towel.
  • aka_llamaaka_llama Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    I wondered if sharing the tv and fridge would be problematic. ie. do those fridges hold enough for 2 people? How do you determine who gets to watch what they want? Is it possible to add a cable splitter so both can watch their own tvs? Is that even necessary? And where do you put a tv? Is there a shelf? Can you add a tv shelf?

Oh, I assume the floors are not carpeted? Good idea to bring a small rug?
    Is there enough room for a trunk that can also serve as a place to sit?

Anyone figure out the "perfect" shower supplies system?

I know, these are silly questions, but I tend to like everything planned out ahead of time so we can just bring what we need with us.

Thanks!
  • lrg&nchrglrg&nchrg Posts: 195Registered User Junior Member
    OP,

When I lived in SM the RA never came into my room. I'm pretty sure you can do whatever you want, just be smart about it.

aka,

You could use your desk or drawers for the tube. I brought a tiny rug for my wet shower tote.