Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Chance me? Cal states

xsp33dd3monxsp33dd3mon Posts: 5Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in California Colleges
Hey guys, I want to go to either Cal state La, Northridge, or Dominguez hills. I have a 2.86 Gpa,(I know its horrible, idk why its that low, my foreign language teachers screwed me every year with C's or B-s) My SAT is a 1400( low too i know). Can i get in? My major will probably be undecided Poli Sci or something else. Really nervous because I want to get into atleast 1 of these schools
Post edited by xsp33dd3mon on

Replies to: Chance me? Cal states

• robholtrobholt Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    Hey man/woman? (possibly man haha). I've been here at CSUN for my 4th year. I had a 3.2ish GPA in high school with not much social experience in the high school (only a couple of clubs, if that) and took the ACT (didn't need to take the SAT since it's just a CSU, not a UC) and applied to CSUN, CSUF, CSULA, CSUCI, and CSUMB. Got accepted to all of them with that high school background. Here is what CSUN provides for getting admitted in:
    English: 4 years

Mathematics: 3 years. Algebra, geometry, and intermediate algebra

Social Science/History: 2 years, including 1 year U.S. history or U.S. history and government

Science: 2 years. 1 biological science with lab, and 1 physical science with lab

Foreign Language: 2 years in the same language (subject to waiver for applicants demonstrating equivalent competence)

Visual and Performing Arts: 1 year. Art, dance, drama/theater, or music

Electives: 1 year. Selected from English, advanced mathematics, social science/history, laboratory science, foreign language, visual and performing arts, and agriculture

Note: Be sure to send CSUN your official, preliminary high school transcript as soon as you complete the first semester of your high school senior year.

Here's how the SAT/ACT works:
    Local area applicants from schools inside the defined Local Guarantee Admission Area must possess a minimum Eligibility Index of 2900 using the SAT or 694 using the ACT.

Non-local area applicants from schools outside the defined Local Guarantee Admission Area must meet a higher Eligibility Index and will be given admission consideration based on the strength of their Eligibility Index score and the total enrollment target of the University.

The eligibility index is calculated by using either the SAT or ACT as follows:

SAT (scores in mathematics and critical reading) + (800 x high school grade point average)

(10 x ACT composite score without the writing score) + (200 x high school grade point average)

If you wanna know more about CSUN, let me know.
  • ForeINForeIN Posts: 887Registered User Member
    There's always a chance esp if you're a Cali resident so just apply and see what happens.

Good luck!
  • xsp33dd3monxsp33dd3mon Posts: 5Registered User New Member
  • CalDudCalDud Posts: 1,617Registered User Senior Member
    I think you should give community college a try first and then transfer to a UC.
  • ForeINForeIN Posts: 887Registered User Member
    ^ ya but I'm kind of in the sitution and it sucks to have the grades but not the money.I feel I wasted my time trying hard in school and getting my gpa when I could really just barely pass and still graduate.