Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

absolutely impossible?

Dave_BerryDave_Berry Posts: 33,411CC Admissions Expert Senior Member
i do absolutely everything and (not to brag) excel.
(violin, science research, vp, many many clubs, science/math fairs, winner of stuff like amc10 and some small stuff too, intel pretty soon, taking the toughest courses, lots of community service, etc, etc.)
its the typical asian girl profile

HOWEVER:
sat: 1970, waiting for the may results
satIIs: dare i say, even worse
APs: waiting for scores =\ *crossing my fingers*

possible majors: premed+international relations; that sorta stuff (although my utmost dreamjob is to be a screenwriter, ha no joke-i seriously caltech has that major)

what are my chances, be harsh
Post edited by Unknown User on

Replies to: absolutely impossible?

• tech_fantech_fan Posts: 2,822Registered User Senior Member
    1970/3 means... about 650 on average? it depends. if math is 750 and the other two are terrible, there might be a chance. (you could pull up the verbal with practice and we don't care that much about it.)

but if your math is below about 700, realistically the chances at caltech are low barring scores in the 120+ on AMC or some other shining indicator of extreme.

btw, premed+international relations is ... highly unusual here. an ivy or MIT would be much better for you. why are you interested in caltech in particular?
  • cghencghen Posts: 613Registered User Member
    Why would you want to Caltech for "possible majors: premed+international relations"? Caltech doesn't have any international relations classes, and only students who think they'll be above average (of matriculating students, which have very, very high standards) should come here if they know they want to go to medical school.
  • asdf123asdf123 Posts: 133Registered User Junior Member
    mmm you should go to princeton :D
  • mathmommathmom Posts: 23,102Registered User Senior Member
    "btw, premed+international relations is ... highly unusual here. an ivy or MIT would be much better for you. why are you interested in caltech in particular?"

Our tour guide at Stanford was doing just that. Maybe it should be on your list?
  • MIT2010MIT2010 Posts: 251Registered User Junior Member
    You need high SAT II's scores for Caltech (at least 700+ on both the science and math parts).
  • Dave_BerryDave_Berry Posts: 33,411CC Admissions Expert Senior Member
    ugh sat2s lol. i'm sure that i wanna pursue a career in medicine as for international relations, its something i've always considered. i am multilingual and i like interacting with people so it will be an advantage to be a doctor who also knows public/int. relations.
  • kcastellekcastelle Posts: 418Registered User Member
    I have a friend doing international relations + pre-med, only she decided that her primary concern would be getting her MD in under 8 years, so she decided to go to a highly specialized, very selective program that happens to be housed within a lower-tier school (thus giving her a good amount of scholarship money for an essentially very prestigious degree). When you know you'll have at the very least 6 and more likely 7 or 8 years of school to pay for (nobody will pay you to go to med school, unfortunately), scholarship offers hold more sway. If you are sure that you want to go to and pay for a top-tier school, I would personally consider Brown's PLME program, which gives you automatic acceptance into their med school and will give you an excellent international relations undergrad but will take you the full 8 years, or look at the other Ivies. I'm inclined to say the tech schools don't seem to be for you.