Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Albany College of Pharmacy six year program

MatchaCakeMatchaCake Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited February 2012 in Careers in Medicine
I recently got accepted into the Doctor of Pharmacy program at Albany College of Pharmacy. I was really REALLY happy because this is what I've always wanted. However, I received my financial aid reward, and I was shocked. My family couldn't afford it. I received about 10k grants and 5k in loans. I would still have to pay about 25k a year. I know this is a really good program but is it worth it to be in that much debt after these six years? Would I be guaranteed a job when I graduate? I want some opinions from people.

A local college offered me a lot of financial aid but its the an undergraduate program. None of my family members have actually been to a four year college so they wouldn't know much about financial aid and stuff. Please give me your feedback; I would really appreciate it!!
Post edited by MatchaCake on

Replies to: Albany College of Pharmacy six year program

• MissLanaMissLana Posts: 40Registered User Junior Member
    Even though it's a really good school and its a 0-6 and not a 2-4 program, I would not be willing to get out of school with a big fat 125k in loans to pay off. A rule of thumb is that your loans should not be more than your first expected salary out of pharmacy school.

I have the same goal as you, to become a pharmacist. My plan is to go to a local university, where I will be paying close to nothing because of the aid they offer, for my first 2 years of pre pharmacy. Then, I will apply to a 4-yr Pharm D program. Even though they are competitive, there are about 6 of them in my state so I am bound to get into at least one of them.

Congrats on getting in by the way! Whatever decision you make, it'll be a good one. It doesn't matter how you get there, what matters is that you will eventually get there. :)
  • glee94glee94 Posts: 4Registered User New Member
    Are you going to go to Albany college of pharmacy? I want to apply there for regular decision and I was wondering what was your SAT score and GPA?
  • SAJ2012SAJ2012 Posts: 56Registered User Junior Member
    You might make 120k+ before taxes your first year out of the gate, I'd say its worth it.
  • xGlassChildxGlassChild Posts: 76Registered User Junior Member
    From what I've read, DO NOT ATTEND ALBANY.
  • peanutbutttercuppeanutbutttercup Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    I agree with the poster above. I also got in, but after reading about the teaching quality and area, it didn't sound very appealing. Also, Albany isn't a very well esteemed school so it might be hard to find a job. I would suggest choosing a different school because you could probably get into pharm school through a cheaper route.