Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Question about practicing

Vhsmith37Vhsmith37 Posts: 4Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in Careers in Medicine
I am wondering if I can practice in more than 1 field? I really like orthopedic surgery, but I want to practice internal medicine as well, so is it possible for me to practice both Orthopedic Surgery and Internal Medicine at the same time after getting out of residency and fellowship? Thank you!
Post edited by Vhsmith37 on

Replies to: Question about practicing

• i_wanna_be_Browni_wanna_be_Brown Posts: 6,534Registered User Senior Member
    those two fields...unlikely unless you took the time to complete residencies in both which would be a waste of time. There are some combined residency programs but the fields are usually more similar (e.g. psych/neuro, or peds/psych. See: https://www.acgme.org/ads/Public/Reports/ReportRun?CountryId=1&ReportId=10&CurrentYear=2012&AcademicYearId=2012). A faculty member at my school was double board certified in medicine and pathology but i'm pretty sure he did that on his own.

Unless you're in medical school it's too early to worry about what specialty exactly anyway.
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Posts: 7,426Registered User Senior Member
    One of D1's clinical supervisors this summer is triple board certified--but all in related fields. He's board certified in Emergency Medicine, Pediatric Emergency Medicine and Pediatrics. (He's also a certified orthopedic surgeon in his home country, but isn't licensed as an ortho in the US.)

And surgery and IM are so different-- completely different mind sets/attitudes/approaches. I have a tough time seeing one person being happy doing both.
  • texaspgtexaspg Posts: 15,029Super Moderator Senior Member
    Is OP in high school?