Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Are pharmacist real doctors?

kingroger317kingroger317 Posts: 337Registered User Member
edited May 2005 in Careers in Medicine
Hi,
can anybody tell me about Pharmacy grad school? Which ones are the best, what are the pre-pharm requirements, and what schools have programs
Does anybody know where i ccan find rankings?
Post edited by kingroger317 on

Replies to: Are pharmacist real doctors?

• kingroger317kingroger317 Posts: 337Registered User Member
    bump bump bump bump bump
  • MaXLee05MaXLee05 Posts: 289Registered User Junior Member
    I heard UT Austin was ranked #2 in the nation.
  • DETSAznDETSAzn Posts: 132Registered User Junior Member
    UMich is great
  • Kvjc11Kvjc11 Posts: 46Registered User Junior Member
    VCU has a garunteed pharm program, also VCU's pharm school has a good ranking in U.S. news.
  • MaXLee05MaXLee05 Posts: 289Registered User Junior Member
    Is pharmacy school harder than medical school?
  • tealteal Posts: 875Registered User Member
    I think UCSan Francisco is one of the top ones out there
  • SSJ2MysticGohanX1000SSJ2MysticGohanX1000 Posts: 282. Junior Member
    You need a doctorate of pharmacy (pharmD) degree to become a pharmacist. Are pharmacists considered real doctors and called 'Doctor'?
  • gsp_silicon_valleygsp_silicon_valley Posts: 1,542Registered User Senior Member
    Check the following website, which mentions that:

To become pharmacist, you must ...
    - have earned a Doctor of Pharmacy degree
    (standard starting entering students of year 2005).
    - you can also receive training through the military.
    - the degree program should be accredited by the
    American Council of Pharmaceutical Education.
    - a state licensing examination. On-the-job training by
    working with a licensed pharmacist.

COLLEGE PREPARATORY:

Your high school program should include English, mathematics, and sciences, preferably with some laboratory experience. Some schools require completion of specific subjects in high school such as two years of mathematics, four years of English, one or two years of laboratory science, and two or more years of history or government. In addition, college entrance examinations and other aptitude test may be required.
    Good written and verbal communications skills are also important.

COLLEGE:

College requirements typically include two years of pre-pharmacy courses and four years of a professional program leading to a Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree. Pre-pharmacy courses include biology, chemistry, calculus, English, speech, and general education courses.
    Admission in the professional phase of a pharmacy program is a competitive process which typically includes among the requirements an application form, personal interview, and letter of recommendation.

http://www.uspharmd.com/rxpharmacist2.htm
  • PSedrishMDPSedrishMD Posts: 712Registered User Member
    The foregoing notwithstanding, the answer is "no". Nobody calls a pharmacist "Doctor" or considers them as professional co-equals. While their job is important, they are always considered ancillary providers.
  • highschooldahighschoolda Posts: 1,793Registered User Senior Member
    they are very underated.
  • PSedrishMDPSedrishMD Posts: 712Registered User Member
    So too are teachers (among others), but that reality means that they enjoy lower job satisfaction and lower pay. These are things people going into the profession need to consider beforehand.
    The original question "are (they) real doctors?" should be answered unequivocally with a "no". They are no more like "real doctors" in the medical sense than are people with a PhD in music, as the word real seeks to clarify in the question.
  • kiddlykiddly Posts: 114- Junior Member
    Here's what I don't get about being a pharmacist. Whether you work at the worlds best hospital pharmacy or the local CVS/Walgreens....aren't pharmacists just basically glorified order takers? I.e. some tells them (an MD or nurse or whomever) what to put in a bottle? Sure, its important to know about interactions, etc....but computer programs could likely do just as well. Any pharmacists or aspiring phamacists around to challenge my assumptions? Pharmacists don't actually develop drugs or help to do so, seems like they are just there to run a drug store, which doesn't even require a college degree. Sorry if it seems like I'm just playa hatin' here...
  • cryptic_fatecryptic_fate Posts: 485- Junior Member
    Pharmacist get paid crap, to be honest.
  • cryptic_fatecryptic_fate Posts: 485- Junior Member
    Comon, you get these kind of incomes if you work for big corporations. The pharmacist working at a local CVS or Eckerd gets paid $45,000 / year
This discussion has been closed.