Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Acceptance Rate

frodoissmartfrodoissmart Posts: 69Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2013 in Carnegie Mellon University
So, my question is, why is CMU's acceptance rate so high?
Though 30% of an acceptance rate is considered 'most selective', I don't get why it is fairly a high rate compared to its peer schools.
UChicago: 13%
Georgetown: 20%
UCLA: 17.8%
UC Berkeley: 21%
Emory: 26.7%

I guess my real question is: How do you breakdown an acceptance rate?

Thanks!
Post edited by frodoissmart on

Replies to: Acceptance Rate

• VikingprimeVikingprime Posts: 100Registered User Junior Member
    CMU's different schools are at different levels so it's difficult to say. I bet you Tepper and Comp Sci have lower acceptance rates than Dietrich.
  • FateGoneAwry16FateGoneAwry16 Posts: 655Registered User Member
    CMU's acceptance rate on USNWR is somewhat misleading. Its based upon CMU's Common Data Set (CDS) rather than the acceptance rates to each of CMU's individual schools.

For fun (read: procrastination) purposes, I attempted to derive the relationship between the 2012-2013 Admissions Statistics per school (i.e. data on the admissions office website) and the acceptance data on CMU's CDS. My results surprised me a bit:

Based on the Admissions Statistics:
    Acceptance Rate = (admitted - BXA)/(applied - BXA) = 5725/30160 = 18.98%

Based on CDS Data*:
    Acceptance Rate = (admitted)/(applied) = 4807/17313 = 27.77%

From this data, we can see that a relatively high portion applicants manage to get into to at least one CMU college. Many applicants who applied to the most competitive programs - SCS, Tepper, and CFA - applied to less competitive schools as "back-ups." Thus, the CDS rate over-emphasizes the less competitive CMU schools and under-emphasizes Tepper, SCS, and CFA.

tl;dr - CMU's overall rate is unfairly skewed upward because of its unique (and generous) policy of letting applicants apply to multiple colleges. I think the rate based on Admissions Statistics is a much better picture of CMU's overall competitiveness.

* The CDS rate is lower because applicants aren't "double-counted" on the CDS.
  • ZingerdadZingerdad Posts: 28Registered User New Member
    The admission rate does indeed vary significantly by school. Here is a link to CMUs admission web page that details the individual school admission rates: Carnegie Mellon Admission | Admission Statistics
  • DarthpwnerDarthpwner Posts: 993Registered User Member
    I have a hard time believing UCLA is 17.8%.... I got in but I didn't get in Berkeley.
  • cervidaecervidae Posts: 43Registered User Junior Member
    UCLA's experienced a huge surge in applicants (at least I remember reading that somewhere). I think the UC's are just weird. I was accepted by Berkeley but not LA. Plus I remember that they announced they would be accepting more out of state applicants and less instate.
  • DarthpwnerDarthpwner Posts: 993Registered User Member
    Congrats on Berkeley! I would rather go to Berkeley than LA but at least UCLA is closer to home. What was Tepper's and SCS's admissions rate this year? I got in Tepper but waitlisted at SCS.