Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

New Oriental SAT Prep Course (新东方)

jerryepsjerryeps Posts: 146Registered User Junior Member
edited May 2011 in China
From what I hear it's very rigorous and most students come out of it with 2250+ scores.

Is it really that effective?

Is you are an alumni with them, please tell me which course you took and what your SAT score is. Thank you!
Post edited by jerryeps on

Replies to: New Oriental SAT Prep Course (新东方)

• GamBinoGamBino Posts: 148Registered User Junior Member
    I've heard from my friends who've gone through it that it's highly intensive, and takes a lot of time, but there are many such programs in China that you can take to effectively boost your test-taking skills.
  • Z.Exodus2008Z.Exodus2008 Posts: 591Registered User Member
    My sister took the course five years ago, and her SAT score actually went down after taking the course (2150 --> 2140).

From what I know of the program, it is a good choice for Chinese natives. For Chinese Americans, however, it is a very poor choice.
  • MulanFaMulanFa Posts: 20Registered User New Member
    I'd rather recommend self-study. NOE is no more than jokes and wastes of money and time.
  • tmissertmisser Posts: 34Registered User Junior Member
    It might be helpful, but the most important thing is how diligant u r. New Oriental School also provides you with the class which can guarantee you scores, such as 2000+ course.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using CC App
  • wrathofachilleswrathofachilles Posts: 769Registered User Member
    Honestly, my recommendation would be to read a book and hire a private tutor.
  • zhuangzizhuangzi Posts: 111Registered User Junior Member
    XDF does not work... i went their for SAT and took it twice... one before it and one after taking the SAT advance courses... and got the same score. 新东方是收钱的垃圾。
  • ImperoImpero Posts: 270Registered User Junior Member
    I took it once. It's just the same as every other SAT course out there. There are some tricks to the SAT, for example reading the passages only at critical parts and skimming the rest, but other than that, they can't come up with anything entirely new. The course just consisted of going over problems most of the time. I scored 2000 and 2030, even after I took the course in XDF (granted I wasn't paying attention 50% of the time. Ironically I did my PSAT after XDF and before my SATs and scored 222).

Dissatisfied with my score, I did it again. I took a crash course targeting Korean people for 8 days that consisted of a full SAT every morning and then going over problems/tricks and the test in the afternoon, and after 5 PM "independent study time", which I never attended. After lunch I'm there just because I had to be- I never listened to anything and don't recall consciously using tricks on the test that followed. I scored a 2260 (800 CR/770 M/690W), which is right in line with the PSAT score that I got before this course.

I concluded that I had it in me to get 2200+ all along, and what that course really helped me with was practice, practice, practice. I have ADHD so my performance, academically or on standardized tests, tends to fluctuate but for all it's worth XDF didn't help me at all. Maybe it was a rip off that I spent 5000 RMB on a crash course that did nothing but make me practice, but I wouldn't have practiced on my own and the 2260 probably got me into Carleton, as well as Wesleyan and the University of Hong Kong. Ain't complaining.