Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Belhaven University

clee024clee024 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
edited June 2011 in Christian Colleges
My daughter will attend Belhaven Univeristy as a Freshman in the fall. I would like to hear from parents, students and faculty of Belhaven University about your experiences, thoughts, advice, etc. Thanks!
Post edited by clee024 on

Replies to: Belhaven University

• BUBlazerBUBlazer Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello!

I will be a Junior at Belhaven University this fall, and I would love to tell you a little bit about my experience here so far.

I have loved Belhaven since my very first visit. The warm welcome and friendly community which first drew me to the school was not just a welcome-the-visitor thing, but it has held true for all of my time here. My home in Colorado is about a 20-hour drive from the school, so it was a big decision to come here, but I have never regretted it. From the Student Life staff and Resident Assistants making sure that everything is comfortable in the residence halls to the Professors making sure that I am successful academically, the people here at Belhaven have quickly become my family. There is always a listening ear and someone eager to help.

That being said, during my first year, I quickly learned how important it is, especially while far away, to keep in touch with your own family, letting them know what is going on in your life so that they can support you and be praying for you as you make the huge adjustment into college life. Scheduling and learning how to manage time can initially be an issue for many students, but making time for phone calls and emails to home became one of the most important things I learned to do.

I look forward to meeting your daughter when she arrives in the fall, and I would be happy to answer any other questions for you, should you have them! Blessings to you!
  • Whistle PigWhistle Pig - Posts: 4,093 Senior Member
    Great report about a place most know little about. There are no greater people on the planet than Mississippians. Their great strength may be their great weakness. No NY PR agency. Thank God. But most can't even spell the name of the state let alone wanna be there. A genuinely bum rap. As you've indicated, you gotta wanna be there to be there. Congrats on finding a "right" place.
  • NewYorkMotherOf3NewYorkMotherOf3 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    My son just finished his freshman year at Belhaven and it has been a fantastic experience for all of us. We live in upstate New York, so it is hard having him so far away, but when we brought him to Belhaven we had such a peace about leaving him, even though it was tough being separated by such a distance. He has really thrived at Belhaven. The professors and staff are friendly and caring and the campus environment is really something special. He has made a lot of great friends and connections in the community. I cannot say enough good things about it. It's a gem of a college! We are so thankful.
  • jao2000jao2000 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    My daughter just finished her freshman year at Belhaven. We have been so blessed by her experiences there. We live over 700 miles from the college, but God has opened the doors for her to attend the university and then repeatedly confirmed His direction for her to be there. The staff, faculty and administration truly care about and invest in the students there. And offer support to parents as well. We have seen how the student body is cared for intellectually, mentally, spiritually and physically. She has wonderful friends & relationships who give her support, encouragement, accountability and fun. She initially wouldn't have chosen to go that far away from home, but it has been a great fit for her. She has been challenged in many ways, but grown so much as a person. We really love Belhaven and are so grateful for it!
  • MarkiewMarkiew Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Our son just completed his freshman year at Belhaven and we too have been blessed by his experiences. We live in southern Florida so I completely understand what it is like to have your child so far away! Our son's first year away from home was definitely a learning and growing experience for him, he has always been very independent but now understands more of the responsibilities of being an "adult". His father and I have such a peace about Belhaven, we have found the faculty and staff are caring and supportive, helping him grow and be successful.

We love Belhaven!
  • dsprayberrydsprayberry Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    My name is David Sprayberry and I work in the communications department at Belhaven University. I can confidently say that each and every faculty and staff member put the needs of the students above their own. I've noticed that the faculty actually take the time to interact with students and form many meaningful relationships. Students can receive the personal, academic and spiritual insight from professors that they can't get at other universities.
    David, thanks for your endorsement, but might I offer this thought to a budding communications professional ... back-pats are always best, especially on sites like this one, when they are offered by other, more non-partial parties. Your generalization might well be easily challenged in that good and as loyal as your faculty and staff may be ... well, your enthusiastic taking-on of the responsibility for "each and every faculty and staff" and their motivation and modus operandi ... it's just a bit too much for any one to bear, might we agree? You don't need to convince us that Belhaven's a great place. Others are doing that well. What you may need to persuade people of is that Mississippi's no longer burning ... literally and figuratively. These awful, inaccurate perceptions die hard.

Let the self-aggrandizing be left to Chapel Hill. ;)
  • clee024clee024 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Thank you all for your feedback! I appreciate it very much!

My husband, daughter and I attended Freshmen B&U Day this past week (June 16-17) and personally experienced much of what you shared. This was our first visit to Belhaven and we loved it! The staff seemed genuinely caring and interested in the students as individuals. Sarah Loman and Dr. Sachs have been extremely helpful and patient during the admission process. Other staff such as the registrar and financial aid rep were supportive and helpful as well. It was evident that the student ambassador thoroughly enjoyed being a student at Belhaven. I could go on and on about our positive experience.

Since my original post, God has confirmed that Belhaven is the place for my daughter, too. It will be difficult being 12 hours from her (since I haven't been away from her for more than 9 days) but I have such peace about out decision. Thanks again!
    Question ... did God say anything about financial aid? :eek:

:) ;)
This discussion has been closed.