That's the puzzle, Proud Mary. We were told (not by FinAid) that the award that D got in the letter with her NSP decision replaces any previous awards. Yet, we were under the impression that the OOS scholarship was used to bridge the difference between in-state and out-of-state. We're a little confused so that's why we're just waiting on the official FA letter.
Mamagx3 and HoComom, you are both correct. My S was also an NSP finalist and the letter takes some going through. If you are like us, the original offer from last fall was for OOS tuition or $14,000. As Idez333 noted, what the $16,500 does is replace the previous offer and give you OOS plus $2500. Not a whole lot more, and as proud_mom noted, it doesn't support trying to keep attracting top students, esp. the 20 or so finalists right now. We have at least 2 friends with students (who were NSP finalists) at Clemson who were offered quite a bit more on top of OOS in the last 2-3 years. My S has received much better offers from a private and another public school. After the NSP weekend, which he enjoyed greatly, getting to know the other NSP finalists, talking to current ones, and getting a more in-depth look at Clemson, he was pretty much sold. They did a great job, but then to offer the "2nd best scholarship" and have it come in at this level was a bit disappointing. The budget cuts may be a significant factor, but again, if their mission is to attract top students and raise the bar academically to help them achieve top 20 status (one of their stated goals), this doesn't seem to be the best move. I have emailed FinAid today with some questions, including if they will be offering any National Merit awards....if I get any info, will post. I did not want to wait for the award letter, as it may be a few weeks evidently, and we are trying to decide whether to revisit his other college choices again, and potentially change his national merit selection.
1chessmom: Thanks so much for the info. I too am very disappointed. Clemson has been recruiting my D very heavily, even before the NSP weekend. My D was also sold on Clemson after the NSP weekend. We had a wonderful time and the hospitality was first-rate. However, for my D to be in the very top of the entire applicant pool, I expected more, but I guess it was wishful thinking. I have a sinking feeling that my D will not be attending Clemson after all. We are hoping that maybe some need-based aid might bring up her total award.
Would love to hear your opinion on the NSP weekend and selection process - PM me if you're willing to talk about it. Thanks!
As Idez333 noted, what the $16,500 does is replace the previous offer and give you OOS plus $2500. Not a whole lot more, and as proud_mom noted, it doesn't support trying to keep attracting top students, esp. the 20 or so finalists right now.
I see . . . hmm, that's not much when trying to attract the best and the brightest. My son, currently a sophomore there, actually got a bit more (OSS + $5000) and he was not a NSP finalist. I hope it works out for mamagx3's D because it sounds like she'd really like to go to Clemson.
Proud Mary, based on your son's experience and that of our friends, it really looks like they have cut back this year. My son also is pretty sold on Clemson, but we will have to see if they have any further ability to offer more aid before we can really finalize, similar to mamagx3. We have other friends whose children were not nsp finalists, and were offered oos, but were also hoping for more in the spring. Looks like that might not happen, either. It will surely give many families something to weigh as an important factor in their decision.
Sorry to hear about Clemson's not-so-great financial offer. Hopefully you will get something down the road to make up the rest of that money. I definitely understand about not going to Clemson if you had a better financial offer because I would do the same thing if I were in your position.
The message we received was that further scholarship aid will be unlikely, no specific final notification date given. It appears that the budget cuts and the effect of the economy on their endowments has really affected their ability to offer aid at the levels they have in the past. There are links to outside scholarship searches that they recommended we check ou: Private Scholarships
Needless to say we have been working on that all along, and now it is too late to probably pursue new ones. I am not sure what happens when students who are offered packages decide to go elsewhere...do they then just hold on to those funds to try to grow them for the following year's students, or do they offer those funds to students applying this year? Anyone know?
I understand your son's frustration....we are too, as are several of my son's friends who have applied there, got OOS waiver, but were hoping for more. While other offers are coming in, we don't know exactly where we stand, but I guess we can't assume that anymore will be available.