Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What's my EFC # mean

Tyler1993Tyler1993 Posts: 120Registered User Junior Member
edited July 2011 in Coca Cola Scholarship
Hi

I recently had completed my FAFSA and recieved an EFC # of 20023. I know that this does not amount to $20023 that my family is expected to contribute, so i was curious what the actual amount is.

Thanks for any Help
Post edited by Tyler1993 on

Replies to: What's my EFC # mean

• Annetaylor124Annetaylor124 Posts: 129Registered User Junior Member
    your EFC of 20300 is your EFC in dollar amount. You are expected to contribute 20,300 dollars next year to college. Thats not a bad number, so do not be discouraged. A lot of people have an EFC of 50,000.
  • njmomof5njmomof5 Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    How long did it take you to receive your EFC after completing your FAFSA. I'm assuming you completed it online? We're waiting for all our tax forms so we can complete our FAFSA, and I'm wondering how long before we know our EFC.
  • Annetaylor124Annetaylor124 Posts: 129Registered User Junior Member
    They send you an email within 3-5 days. They only want you to estimate your 2010 taxes; they want you to put verbatum your 2009 ones.

good luck! Don't worry. FAFSA has been really efficent this year.
  • sakuyastarwindsakuyastarwind Posts: 6Registered User New Member
    Hi!

Your EFC is your expected family contribution. Many people can't realistically afford what the EFC states. Mine was stated at more than 30% of my and my husband's income! That's why there are scholarships.

Try to find scholarships to offset your loans. Go for unique ones that favor your race or ethnicity or grades. Try to start a local charity, there are scholarships for people who start charities. Talk to the HEAD of financial aid (not just anyone in the dept) at school and show them your grades and accolades.

Good Luck!