Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

merit based scholarships at Colgate

poligirlpoligirl Posts: 86Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2008 in Colgate University
Does anyone know if Colgate offers monetary awards based on grades and/or activities, such as volunteering? Like many, I assume, my parents income is probably more than necessary to get financial aid, but not enough where we don't need any.

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by poligirl on

Replies to: merit based scholarships at Colgate

• ebegounebegoun Posts: 109Registered User Junior Member
    they do not offer any monetary awards other than need based
  • jrparjrpar Posts: 2,083Registered User Senior Member
    Colgate does provide a one-time $5K stipend to the top 200 applicants - the Alumni Memorial Scholar award.
  • CK2308CK2308 Posts: 93Registered User Junior Member
    im an AMS and that $5k only goes toward independent research if you choose to do so...its not taken out of your tuition. im pretty upset about how colgate doesnt do any merit based aid. unfortunately, i did not qualify for need based, but there is no way i will be able to pay my way through four years of $50k+ undergrad plus medical school...if i decide on colgate, i will be in so much debt. this will be such a tough decision because i love the school but ive gotten tons of merit money from other schools. (i.e. lafayette, gettysburg)
    i am in the exact same position as CK2308, but I have already started to appeal the financial aid package Colgate gave me. Altough they gave me room and board without loans b/c I was AMS
  • MADadMADad Posts: 1,261Registered User Senior Member
    Last year Colgate's need-only offer was better than all of my daughter's need+merit packages.

I hear that they are very generous IF they choose to give you anything.
  • CK2308CK2308 Posts: 93Registered User Junior Member
    ebegoun--room & board is free for AMS??
    it was very vague. they basically said all that i was qualified for was the $9000 room and board and that it would be loan free b/c of AMS but I am appealing that figure further now
  • bjjacohenbjjacohen Posts: 35Registered User Junior Member
    I'm sure Colgate understands that they're passing on many worthy students. My son has a number of acceptances that have merit scholarships attached. Schools like U of R and Brandeis. We're waiting on Colgate's package but w/o any merit money it's just not a logical choice for us.
  • jrparjrpar Posts: 2,083Registered User Senior Member
    Room & board is not free for AMS but AMS do get more favorable aid packages (more grants/less loans).
  • bjjacohenbjjacohen Posts: 35Registered User Junior Member
    Received acceptance package today but as expected, no merit money. Will choose a comparable college with merit scholarship. Good luck to all!
  • annievanniev Posts: 24Registered User New Member
    Has anyone else been named a Benton Scholar?
  • poligirlpoligirl Posts: 86Registered User Junior Member
    I was away for a few days. Thanks for the responses. Seems like financial aid or lack of, might dissuade me from Colgate.
  • cindercinder Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    I was asked to be a Benton Scholar, but the scholarship award was not very much. Other schools gave me better awards, but the Benton Scholar sounds interesting.