Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Engineering at Colgate

GreatApe213GreatApe213 Posts: 97Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2009 in Colgate University
I got in!! ..but i think i want to major in engineering, and all colgate has is their 3-2 program, which might work out but im not sure. anyone know how it works?
Post edited by GreatApe213 on

Replies to: Engineering at Colgate

• HonestDescendentHonestDescendent Posts: 31Registered User Junior Member
    Colgate does have 3-2 engineering program with Columbia University and Washington University in St. Louis (there may be one other option as well). You would hit the ground running with 'pre-engineering' courses at Colgate (math, physics, science) plus liberal arts requirements. For years 4 and 5 you focus on the engineering courses. Once completed you get both a bachelor of arts degree from Colgate University and a bachelor of science in engineering from your choice of engineering school. You may also be able to do what is called sub-matriculate at the engineering school and acquire a masters of science in engineering which adds one more year, thus 3+2+1.

While this can be done, it raises the question...why not just go to an engineering school or a university that offers engineering degrees/majors along with the liberal arts? Also, the glory of Colgate University is that it is an outstanding liberal arts experience that serves as a great launching pad for just about anything you want to do. Good luck!
  • GreatApe213GreatApe213 Posts: 97Registered User Junior Member
    wow, that does sound awesome. but i researched the 3-2 a bit and found that it encompasses astrology too? i dont really have any interest with that, so could i avoid it? what if i go to colgate for 3yrs and get only a mediocre gpa, and dont get accepted to columbia/wash u, what would i do then?

and be honest, if im considering entering engineering (though im not positive), wouldnt it be better to go to a school with a better engineering reputation like lehigh or tufts (even gw)? thanks
  • spideyunlimitedspideyunlimited Posts: 976Registered User Member
    On a similar note, if I pursue a BA in computer science, does it in any way affect my prospects of getting into a good engineering grad school?
    Does having been in liberal arts (and a BA instead of BS) in any way affect one's chances of getting into reputed engg. grad schools?
  • brassringbrassring Posts: 369Registered User Member
    While you do have the 3-2 option, Liberal Arts Colleges are definitely not the place to do engineering, IF you have a choice.
  • HonestDescendentHonestDescendent Posts: 31Registered User Junior Member
    Perhaps you misread 'astronomy' as astrology. In many smaller liberal arts colleges and universities astronomy is part of the physics department.