Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is Computer Science a core science subject? Can my CS teacher write my recs?

MeInc100MeInc100 Posts: 12Registered User New Member
edited September 2009 in College Admissions
I understand that colleges want core/academic teachers from our junior or senior year to write our recs.

I am a junior. I am taking AP Computer Science and AP Bio this year. I took AP physics and AP Calc BC in my sophomore year.

1) My AP Cal teacher (taught me one semester in my sophomore year, then retired) will write a very good rec for me. But if I want to major in engineering, is it better to pick a science teacher over a math teacher to write my rec?

2) Is computer science considered a core science subject? It’s an elective in my school though. Will I look bad if I pick my computer science teacher, instead of my bio teacher, to write my rec in science subject?
a) My CS teacher probably likes me the best in the class;
b) My bio teacher doesn’t seem to be the kind of person who would write an enthusiastic rec for anyone.(Just his personality)

3) Otherwise, I will have to go to my teachers from my sophomore year, bad idea? I don’t know about senior year yet.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Post edited by MeInc100 on

Replies to: Is Computer Science a core science subject? Can my CS teacher write my recs?

• MeInc100MeInc100 Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    Bump........
  • capps2010capps2010 Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    I know this thread started a long time ago, but I'm in the same situation...I'm applying to Rice and they ask one rec from a core academic subject teacher. In my school, AP Comp. Sci. counts an elective. However, I know my comp. sci. teacher on a much more personal level and feel that she will be able to write a better rec for me than my chem or physics teacher. So will it make a difference if I submit a rec from my comp. sci. teacher?
  • midwesternermidwesterner Posts: 1,920Registered User Senior Member
    Have the comp sci teacher write a rec, if he will, but use it as a supplemental recommendation and get the required rec(s) from core subject teachers. You don't want to demonstrate an inability to follow rules so early.
  • proletariat2proletariat2 Posts: 3,519Registered User Senior Member
    In my school, computer science is a math class. Just throwing that out there! I think that you'll be fine asking your computer science teacher for a rec.