Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Problem with recommendation

LuminouzzLuminouzz Posts: 1,838Registered User Senior Member
edited October 2010 in College Admissions
I'm worried about a potential problem with a recommendation. I was a junior in a calc BC class with mostly seniors, and I did well (A's both semesters, 5 on the AP). She told me that I was good at math on several occasions. However, I didn't think I was good at math, and I told her this. I'm mostly an English person.

I'm applying as a Chemistry major to top schools, and I'm worried that she will mention "he's good at math, but he doesn't think so." This would reflect poorly on my confidence, even though I'm more comfortable with math now.

Is this a problem? What should I do?
Post edited by Luminouzz on

Replies to: Problem with recommendation

• theRADtomato47theRADtomato47 Posts: 1,289Registered User Senior Member
    I doubt your teacher still remembers that you told her that. Even if she did, I highly doubt she would try and belittle you in your letter of recommendation. Some teachers usually have a reputation for letter of recommendations. (i.e. really good, generic) By word of mouth, what do you think is her reputation for LoR's? If your gut feeling tells you it won't work out, then look for another recommender.
  • LuminouzzLuminouzz Posts: 1,838Registered User Senior Member
    Haha, I told her that a few times. I don't think she would try and belittle me. But she probably has an impression of me as someone who "doesn't think he's good at math." That's less true now, so I hope she doesn't describe me that way in the letter.

People rarely ask her for letters because she teaches sophomores and seniors. My gut feeling is good. I like her, and she said she enjoyed having me in class. I'm just worried about how she will describe my attitude toward math (as not that confident).
  • illusiondestinyillusiondestiny Posts: 513Registered User Member
    Go for it. It seems like that teacher won't write something like that on the recommendation. She'll probably focus more on the positive aspects of you (or maybe mention how you have improved over the years).
    ^Thanks for the response. She just had me last year, so I don't know how she would know about any improvement.

But I've already asked her, so I'll hope for the best :)
    Bump.

Would it be rude to ask her whether she will write this? I'm positive that she wants to write a good letter of recommendation for me. I'm just worried about her mentioning that I don't consider myself good at math.