Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Weighted GPA comparison

OCDgirl2015OCDgirl2015 Posts: 7Registered User New Member
edited November 2010 in College Admissions
My school doesn't rank, but it does disclose the highest GPA- a 4.86 (weighted). Colleges will compare my weighted GPA, a 4.52, to it.

My school offered only one weighted course in 9th grade, so my overall weighted GPA is "diluted" by my 9th grade courses (I took all possible honors/AP courses in 10th, 11th, & 12th grade). However, the student who has the 4.86 transferred to our school in 10th grade, and thus has a disproportionally higher weighted GPA than everyone else.

Will this affect the way my own GPA is perceived?
Post edited by OCDgirl2015 on

Replies to: Weighted GPA comparison

• OCDgirl2015OCDgirl2015 Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    Bump! Anyone...please?
  • Strychnine3Strychnine3 Posts: 26Registered User New Member
    Colleges will generally judge you on the strength of your own transcript, not based on the GPAs of other students from your school
  • stocker93stocker93 Posts: 199Registered User Junior Member
    Actually the above post is incorrect, given the concept of class rank... They will know where you stand in comparison to your classmates and they will take that into great consideration. Class rank is generally the most important part of college admissions if your school provides it. Your situation is different but the same general idea if colleges see the top students GPA
  • DunninLADunninLA Posts: 4,267Registered User Senior Member
    Your school should not use the GPA of a student who imported an inflated GPA from another school into yours.

If your school insists on doing this (and only after you've brought this to the attention of the Principal and explained the negative perception this gives to your HS's 4 year students), then you have every right to point out somewhere on your application that the highest GPA of students who were enrolled in your HS for all four years is: 4.58, or whatever it is. You might want to get a GC at your school to confirm this for you in a side note when they send your transcript to your colleges.
  • vincehvinceh Posts: 2,288Registered User Senior Member
    This is like worrying that your classmates SAT was a 2350 while yours was "only" a 2340. While a school will be able to see that you are not first in the class, a weighted 4.52 GPA can reasonably be assumed to be near the top, (the .34 difference amounts to probably 2 "A-"s instead of "A"s). It's hard for me to see how that puts you at any material disadvantage.
  • OCDgirl2015OCDgirl2015 Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    Thanks so much for all the perspectives, everyone! =)
    The only problem is the student who's ranked #1 happens to be a very close friend of mine, and my school is very small, so I would feel really guilty and awkward mentioning it to my counselor...