Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Which colleges am I likely to get into?

unchopefullunchopefull Posts: 3Registered User New Member
edited February 2011 in College Admissions
I am applying for UNC (my dream school), ECU, App State, Meredith, Elon, and BYU (Provo). I have applied to half of these so far and I am really worried about my chances of getting in. I have a 3.8 unweighted gpa and a 4.44 weighted gpa. My top SAT scores equalled 1590 ( I know that is low) and my top ACT scores equalled 22. When I graduate I will have taken 6 AP classes but I could only submit 2 test scores because I only took two last year. I have had leadership positions in almost everything I do except NHS and Beta club, which I am members of both. I am also in FTA, I dance, and I am strongly involved in my church youth group. I have done some volunteer work and a bunch of community service. I also went to girls state. From everyone that looked over my essays (including students that go to those schools) my essays have been very good and show I have overcome challenges, which I hear is a good trait. I submitted an extra recomendation letter to UNC because that is where I really want to go. I have family alumni at UNC,ECU, and App state. Oh, and I live in NC.What are my chances of getting into each of these colleges?
P.S. I understand if you can't answer about BYU.
Post edited by unchopefull on

Replies to: Which colleges am I likely to get into?

• ncmentorncmentor Posts: 1,346Registered User Senior Member
    I don't know anyone who was accepted at UNC with a 1590. Your GPA is great but your SAT will kill you at most of these schools. I would think your best bets are ECU and Meredith. App State is unlikely and Elon is very unlikely but might (just might) give you a look if you EC are Totally Over The Top, but that would be a very big stretch even for a school that is known for looking at the whole student.

Two quick thoughts, look at some of the many lower tiered schools in NC (we have many), or if you're looking for a good school (and can afford it) why not apply to Wake Forest. Wake is test optional and they will never see your test scores for admissions (you will likely get in), but they do use your scores if you're applying for FA.
  • glassesarechicglassesarechic Posts: 5,481Registered User Senior Member
    ^An excellent post. I agree--your chances at UNC are slim, but the ancillaries might be worth a look.
  • moodragonxmoodragonx Posts: 422Registered User Member
    I was really under the impression that in-state admissions to UNC wasn't all too terrible.

A 1590 is a bit low (I think median SAT is 1940) but something a lot of people on this site are guilty of is immediately scrolling through someone's post and basing 90% of their assessment of your SAT/ACT scores.

Based on SAT your chances are a bit slim but you shouldn't give up hope.

Beyond that, you do still have time to improve. Register for the December test NOW and study your ass off for it. You can definitely boost that. I mean any improvement would be a huge boost to your application since the rest of your application looks really good. Therefore it's just the SAT that is dragging you down and an improvement of just 10 points would put you in the 1600s (looks more impressive than 15__) and further improvement would be immensely helpful. UNC accepts tests up to the December testing date, no further. So if you can afford it I'd recommend going ahead and registering late for the December SAT.

You really shouldn't resign yourself to defeat - do what you can to improve your chances.
  • glassesarechicglassesarechic Posts: 5,481Registered User Senior Member
    ^Both ncmentor and I are from NC and have a fair amount of anecdotal evidence on which to base our conclusions. I don't know anyone accepted with scores below the 1700's, and UNC tends to be particularly generous in admitting kids from my high school.

OP, your scores can be raised with prep (I'd recommend individual prep or a private tutor, since score gains from classes tend to be modest), but you're running short on time. I would apply to ECU ASAP, as they offer rolling admissions, so you'll have at least one decision in the next few weeks. Also consider Greensboro and Western.
    To be fair to other readers - On Average - Very few in-state students without great GPA's and at least one other hook (URM, etc.) will even have a chance of being accepted at UNC with a SAT score of less than about 1850++ / for OOS need to add about 350++ points. (or be a great football kicker / mid court shooter). It varies based on the school, school system, and region that you are applying from. But that's my strong impression.

And by the way - I think everyone should apply to their "dream school" because otherwise how will you ever know if you could have been admitted. But realistically, if statically you have little or no chance of acceptance, your often just donating your application fee to a good school.
  • unchopefullunchopefull Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    Well, I appreciate your help. I have applied to UNC, Elon, App State, and ECU because I am applying for the NC Teaching Fellows Scholarship so I applied early action. I am 4th in my class so I hope that helps. My EC are pretty good, I am Co-President or President of many of my EC. Does UNC accept December testing date scores for early action? If not do you think that if it is my SAT score bringing me down that they will defer me and just make me retake the SAT to see if I can raise my score and then base my acceptance based on that? If they do accept the December SAT scores I will sign up immediately and take it for the third time. Yes, the third time. I took a 36 hour prep class with Sylvan for the second time because I wanted to raise my scores but it didn't help. Thanks for your help.
    Good questions and perhaps someone can answer more of the date issues... But let me advise you to take the Dec SAT anyhow. Because, yes it is most certainly is your SAT scores that are holding you back...
  • unchopefullunchopefull Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    Thanks for all your help! I'd like to report I've been accepted into Elon, Meredith, ECU and Appalachian. I am still waiting to hear from UNC. I didn't have the opportunity to retake my SATs so I sent those scores. I was deferrd from Elon and UNC at first but all they asked was for me to send in my 1st semester grades, niether asked me to retake my SATs and within a week Elon accepted me. :) So, my suggestion to others is don't get discouraged!!! I will let ya'll know if I somehow am part of a miracle and actually get into UNC!