Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Half-Asian, Half-White Guy, what do i select?

AbunaiChemAbunaiChem Posts: 1Registered User New Member
edited December 2010 in College Admissions
I'm not sure which to mark on my apps/SAT stuff (im a junior btw) because im half japanese and im half White.
Post edited by AbunaiChem on

Replies to: Half-Asian, Half-White Guy, what do i select?

• WillDaSnailWillDaSnail Posts: 270Registered User Junior Member
    Is there a choice that indicates you're of a mixed heritage?
  • veryindecisiveveryindecisive Posts: 81Registered User Junior Member
    There are almost no surveys which do not allow you to select more than one ethnicity.

Furthermore, your ethnicity is, by definition, what you consider it to be. You can write whatever you want.s
  • R3d3mpti0nR3d3mpti0n Posts: 693Registered User Member
    My friend's half-white, half-Chinese and he just put white because he looks more white than Asian. If you look more Asian, put Asian if you're only allowed to select one ethnicity. Otherwise put white.
  • RyanViRyanVi Posts: 50Registered User Junior Member
    But on college application I would put Asian since that may be considered minority (idk if that's matter though lol)
  • blueiguanablueiguana Posts: 7,496Registered User Senior Member
    This has far less to do with how you 'look' than what race you identify with. If your family has strong ties to Asian culture then you may self-identify with the Asian community regardless of what you look like. Would a person who has a caucasian mother and an african american father be any less or more african american based on his skin tone? This is a matter of genetics, not race/ethnicity. (And the answer is no, their skin tone or appearance has no bearing on their ethnicity whatsoever.)

You can probably mark both. Please understand in MOST circumstances Asian students are not considered under represented minorities (URMs).
  • jgraiderjgraider Posts: 2,845Registered User Senior Member
    But on college application I would put Asian since that may be considered minority (idk if that's matter though lol)

Asians are generally considered an overrepresented minority, so it would actually hurt to put Asian
  • silverturtlesilverturtle Posts: 12,494Registered User Senior Member
    The Common Application allows you to select both.
  • YennaaaYennaaa Posts: 100Registered User Junior Member
    yeahh same here :/
    You can pick both on the common app and mostttt applications for college but on the SAT and AP tests you can only put one.. so I usually put "other"...because I consider myself mixed not one or the other.