Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How bad do grades have to get for admission to be revoked?

jake1111jake1111 Posts: 176Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2010 in College Admissions
I've applied to a total of 8 schools through early notification.
I've been getting A's in school (except a few B's freshman year & a B junior year) & I was wondering if I would get admission revoked anywhere if my grades slipped & I got several B's or maybe even a low B- this first semester. Do colleges only revoke admission if grades become D's or F's?
Would top tier schools revoke admission because of several B's or B- in first semester of senior year?
Post edited by jake1111 on

Replies to: How bad do grades have to get for admission to be revoked?

• anotherparentanotherparent Posts: 1,275Registered User Senior Member
    Bs should be ok, but do not push it. Since they do not say, they can exercise to recind your admission for any drop. If you were a borderline acceptance at a school, they might be less forgiving...
  • T26E4T26E4 Posts: 16,965Registered User Senior Member
    Jake: this question is asked literally hundreds of times each year -- especially about May or June. Maybe do a search?
  • aspire2011aspire2011 Posts: 505Registered User Junior Member
    B's are okay. B-'s are pushing it if it's in several different classes. Mostly, it depends what kind of schools you applied to, though.
  • DunninLADunninLA Posts: 4,272Registered User Senior Member
    Every school is different, however UCLA and Berkeley are known to rescind admissions for a single D or F grade, as well as a Sr. Yr. GPA below 3.0 UNWEIGHTED. For other schools, Bs are probably OK. One C probably OK accompanied by mostly As. 2+ Cs probably not OK with most elite Unis, and D or F definitely not OK.

General rule of thumb is that you shouldn't have a final report card semester GPA which is more than 1 point lower than the GPA you applied to colleges with. Since you have straight As junior year, anything below 3.0 would raise multiple alarms!
  • Skydancer017Skydancer017 Posts: 156Registered User Junior Member
    I was accepted early to the College of William and Mary and I asked my dean the same question (but phrased more tactfully.) She said a few B's were fine, but a straight C semester could warrant a revoked admission.
  • ezbreezezbreez Posts: 236Registered User Junior Member
    My good friend just got accepted ED to W&M as well, and she was told that if her GPA shifts by .1, her acceptance will be pulled. So...don't let your GPA shift too much.
  • HuntHunt Posts: 22,575Registered User Senior Member
    As pointed out above, this question gets asked over and over...and very rarely is there a report of somebody who actually had admission revoked over grades. I think it's highly unlikely that a couple of Bs or a GPA shift of .1 will have such an effect--maybe if your GPA shifts by 1.1...
    Nope. My friend was told flat out, a change of .1 (and by that, I mean if her GPA drops by .1, obviously going up is good) would result in rescinding of application. But that might just be because it was an ED and it's W&M
    Ebreez...thats strange. There is clearly a mix up then in the info. Here is the email my dean sent me:
    "Congratulations! As for your question; no, a B or 2 in your AP courses would not warrant a revoked offer. An all C semester would certainly be enough of a reason for a letter to your counselor and possibly a meeting with the admission committee, but I’m certainly not worried that that will be the case with you."
    Someone has to be wrong. a .1 is about one B.
  • anotherparentanotherparent Posts: 1,275Registered User Senior Member
    Presumably the .1 would be your overall grade, and presumably unweighted. So, if you applied to college with a 4.0, you would have to get 2 Bs to bring your overall to a 3.9.
    Nope. My friend was told flat out, a change of .1 (and by that, I mean if her GPA drops by .1, obviously going up is good) would result in rescinding of application. But that might just be because it was an ED and it's W&M
    Your friend may have been told this, but I don't believe for one second that it is true. W&M would be rescinding multiple kids each year if this was true, and I certainly don't think that's happening.
    Thanks Hunt, I agree. That is very harsh. A GPA can easily drop .1. If it dropped from a 4.0 to a 3.0, that would be more understandable.
    Well yes. She currently has a 4.19 (this is an average of the first three years, plus first semester), so if her GPA slips below 4.09, then her acceptance will be rescinded. I dunno about you guys, but in my school, .1 is the difference between the #1 rank and the #10 rank..

Anyway, I may have heard her wrong, and considering she was screaming and freaking out about getting into her top choice, one and done, it's entirely possible it's not just .1 . But you never know.

I think the idea is that you just don't slack off.
    Of course, its the same at my school too, but a 4.19 can easily drop to a 4.09 if she receives one or 2 B's.
    Idk haha, I'm scared.
    Like what if you get a B in Calc BC or AP Econ or something? I am kind of doubtful they'd rescind you for that.
    if her GPA slips below 4.09, then her acceptance will be rescinded.
    I'm sorry, but this is nonsense. There is no way that W&M is going to rescind the admission of somebody who drops such a piddly amount. I'd have to see that in writing to even begin to believe it. No, I'd have to see proof that they actually did it before I'd believe it.