Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Does oxford/cambridge offer double majors?

streampawstreampaw Posts: 92Registered User Junior Member
edited January 2011 in College Admissions
I want to major in business, and a biology field (microbiology or something), I know they're unrelated. Does oxford or cambridge offer double majors. (I am from the USA, by the way.) And how long does it take to obtain a masters degree in oxford or cambridge? Also, do they take IB diplomas? Do IB classes count towards college?
Post edited by streampaw on

Replies to: Does oxford/cambridge offer double majors?

• liminalliminal Posts: 113Registered User Junior Member
    oxford IB: International Qualifications - University of Oxford
    cambridge IB:http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/apply/forms/coaf.pdf (search International Baccalaureate)

ugh never mind i don't really feel like doing your research for you... do a major in biology and google studies.
  • ellopoppetellopoppet Posts: 255Registered User Junior Member
    I can't say with certainty, but I doubt they offer double majors. Oxbridge operates on a peer system (not sure if that's the correct term), which is 3 or 4 students with an advisor/professor doing extremely in-depth work instead of sitting in large classes. Students don't really take electives; they generally start in their major classes right away. Because of the nontraditional (well, different than the US) system, it seems to me that a double major isn't an option. But again, I could be wrong.
  • cupcakecupcake Posts: 1,489Registered User Senior Member
    The simple answer is no. Search their websites and you will find a list of "courses" you can study. This what you can study. You only get to choose one course. No business and bio on that list, no studying it. That is how it works.
  • ma3a20ma3a20 Posts: 116Registered User Junior Member
    No double majors. In the UK you select the PROGRAM you are applying to at a particular university -- not the university itself like in the US.

This is basic information you should be able to find yourself. It will be in your benefit to search yourself.