Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is taking Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry in high school impressive?

SchieffenPlanSchieffenPlan Posts: 335- Junior Member
edited May 2011 in College Admissions
Is taking Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry at a university as a high schooler impressive to colleges....namely top ones like Harvard, Stanford, etc.? What if such a high schooler attends a subpar, noncompetitive high school where there has only been like 3 or 4 Ivy League and Stanford acceptances in its history?
Post edited by SchieffenPlan on

Replies to: Is taking Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry in high school impressive?

• PancakedPancaked Posts: 2,942Registered User Senior Member
    It's probably not going to "impress" them, but it would certainly look good.
  • T26E4T26E4 Posts: 16,974Registered User Senior Member
    If you attend a subpar HS, top colleges will look for evidence that you're maxing out your opportunities. If you can take college level Org and BioChem and do well, it's impressive. Good luck to you
  • violistchanviolistchan Posts: 216Registered User Junior Member
    Taking those courses is half the story. You also have to do well in them.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,391Registered User Senior Member
    If you are ready for Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry, why on earth aren't you already enrolled full-time at that college/university? Just about every college/university in the country offers early-enrollment for college-ready students who haven't finished high school yet.
  • collegealum314collegealum314 Posts: 6,583Registered User Senior Member
    ^Anyone who can AP out of chem is ready for orgo or biochem. I took organic chem as a junior and aced it (~99%/100%). I don't think it had much of an impact at top schools. However, I did go to an advanced high school (which is one reason I didn't feel the need to enroll in a university.)

From my observation, the rule-of-thumb for most ivies is that their academic requirement is that a person can "do the work", meaning probably get B's in some course-of-study. Beyond that, they really don't care and are looking for other attributes to round out the class. The exception if you are a candidate who is slated to be one of the academic stars there. In that case, you have to do a lot more to make an impression. Acing orgo is a start, but it should be supported by a high intel or USNCO (chem olympiad) placing. It may not be as black-and-white as I made it out to be, but taking orgo is not the hook the OP may be thinking it is. That is my main point. In fact, there was an extreme case where a math team star took Math 55 at Harvard (a famous, notoriously hard class) while in high school, aced it, and was rejected from Harvard and Princeton anyway. He got into MIT so there was no fatal flaw, no bank robbery conviction LOL. Anyway, you get my point.
  • SchieffenPlanSchieffenPlan Posts: 335- Junior Member
    Lol *** he took Math 55 and was rejected...wow

Yeah I get your point
    I'm doing USABO, USNCO, and Brain Bee anyways already...so yea