Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Half credit vs. Full credit

soxsoxsoxsox Posts: 34Registered User Junior Member
edited June 2011 in College Admissions
How does a half credit affect your GPA?
For example, if I have taken four classes, two full credit classes and two half credit classes and had the following grades A, A, A(half), B(half), what would my GPA be? Would I just add up the values (4+4+4+3) and divide by three? Or is there some other way of doing it?
Thanks!
Post edited by soxsox on

Replies to: Half credit vs. Full credit

• happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,369Registered User Senior Member
    Probably more like:
    4 + 4 + 4/2 + 3/2 = 11.5
    then
    11.5/3 = 3.83

But do ask at your school/college and find out how they calculate this.
  • drusbadrusba Posts: 7,871Registered User Senior Member
    Cannot figure out your exact issue as you do not explain what your school means by half credit and full credit courses. Typically in many high schools a one semester course gives 1/2 unit credit and a two semester course gives one unit (two 1/2 units). GPA is determined by using semester grades and total courses per semester, for example:

You get an A both semesters in four year long courses, math, English, history, and government, and a B in a one semester course and a C in a second semester one. Each A per semester is 4 points giving a total of 32 (16 per semester), the B is 3 and the C is 2. Thus total points are 37 and to get GPA you divide by 10 (5 courses first semester plus 5 the second) and GPA is 3.7