Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How is GPA usually rounded?

candlelightkvacandlelightkva Posts: 169Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2011 in College Admissions
Would a 3.67 be left as 3.67 or a 3.7?

I am asking because I can take another online class to bring my GPA to 3.68... but I think that's a total waste considering it's only .01, unless, of course, it helps round my GPA up or something.

Thanks!
Post edited by candlelightkva on

Replies to: How is GPA usually rounded?

• candlelightkvacandlelightkva Posts: 169Registered User Junior Member
    Similarly, my weighted is 4.09. Taking one more class would push it up to 4.125.

Would they both be considered 4.1 either way?
  • Chocolate20Chocolate20 Posts: 114Registered User Junior Member
    I would love to know this too, just wondering if a 3.16 would be rounded to a 3.2, etc. I could also do another online class, but I have many other things to do so I'm not sure if I should.

The one thing I do know is, the more classes you take, the better (assuming you get A's in them), because not only will it raise your GPA, it will increase your a-g credit count, (I'm assuming your online class will count as a-g credit), which also helps. So, if you have time on your hands, you should do it.

But if it's really going to eat away at your time, then just a .01 wouldn't be worth that.
  • Nighthawk1Nighthawk1 Posts: 111Registered User Junior Member
    Most colleges do not round GPA past 2 decimal points. I communicated with an Ivy adcom and she said ______ university doesn't round at all. So at that school a 3.125 is a 3.125. She also said that other universities round to the hundreths place: 3.125=3.13. But no school she knew of rounded to one decimal place 3.125=3.1