Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Do colleges care about the Reading and Science sections of the ACT?

Ponch12Ponch12 Posts: 31Registered User Junior Member
edited June 2013 in College Admissions
It seems as if though English and Math are the most important sections. But I got low scores on Reading and Science and it lowered my composite score significantly from a 31 without R and S to a 27 with them. Are all sections equally important, specifically for UC schools?
Post edited by Ponch12 on

Replies to: Do colleges care about the Reading and Science sections of the ACT?

• mysweetwawamysweetwawa Posts: 148Registered User Junior Member
    It's on the test they want you to take, so I think they would care about each score
  • moonman676moonman676 Posts: 938Registered User Member
    they care about the composite first i think and then they look at each section.
  • RedSevenRedSeven Posts: 1,665Registered User Senior Member
    Why wouldn't they?

Either way, they're factored into the composite score, so you need to do well on them. There is no composite score calculated from half the sections. That's only for M+CR on the SAT, because Writing is a new section and factors the poorly-designed essay portion into the score.

Why, pray tell, would they care about the Critical Reading section on the SAT, but not the Reading section on the ACT?

Your reasoning here seems to be almost entirely "I did poorly on these sections; therefore, I will find some people on the Internet who know nothing and just want me to chance them back to reassure me that those sections don't matter."

Unless I see hard evidence suggesting they don't care about Reading and Science, I am inclined to consider them just as valuable as the other sections.
  • stePabsstePabs Posts: 101Registered User Junior Member
    Yeah, colleges look at all sections, but I still think that the English and Math are more important than Reading and Science, Science being the least important IMO.
  • nina1228nina1228 Posts: 936Registered User Member
    I have seen some college data websites that list the average composite, English, and Math scores for incoming freshman. I don't recall ever seeing averages for Reading and Science, however. I don't know if that means colleges emphasize certain sections more, but that is my experience.
  • KudasaiKudasai Posts: 93Registered User Junior Member
    I always personally hated the science section. It had nothing to do with science, just reading charts and stuff.........
  • KudryavkaKudryavka Posts: 867Registered User Member
    The ACT composite is usually the focus. They might look at your sections to get an idea of your strengths and weaknesses, but the composite is the important part.
  • boysx3boysx3 Posts: 5,160Registered User Senior Member
    That's quite a gap in your scores!

Colleges do care about Reading, because in college you will be doing a lot of...reading! On your own, without the professor telling you what the book said. Lectures are not intended to regurgitate the readings....the readings are a taking off point or a contrasting point to the lectures. Both lectures and readings are fair game for exams.

Colleges also care about the Science score, because it tests your ability to understand different ways of presenting information and your ability to take the next step/make inferences from the information in those formats. The Science section is testing your ability to think more than anything else.

Get some practice books and work with them until you feel more confident...then take the test again.

All to the good... a lot of schools now superscore the ACT just like the SAT.

Speaking of which, how did you do on the SAT? It might be a better test for you.
  • Seahawks506Seahawks506 Posts: 2,526Registered User Senior Member
    Not having science may help, but it is highly unlikely that the SAT's CR portion will be easier than the ACT's Reading section.
  • transfer9858transfer9858 Posts: 294Registered User Junior Member
    Of course they care. The without a question count reading the same as math and english. The only thing I've heard is science being less important, but still counts a lot. They look at your composite score. Even if your score would have been a 35 without science, if your score is then a 31, they will see a 31. It's annoying, but the section IS there. It's not like the writing section where schools openly say " we don't consider the writing", which fewer schools are doing since they see the writing section of the sat very important as well now. Anyway, with a 27 your not going to be applying to IVY's and top schools, so a 27 should be ok for most places and uc's, except for ucla and berkley.
  • Ponch12Ponch12 Posts: 31Registered User Junior Member
    My SAT is almost the same as my ACT when converted, an 1840. I'm not going to retake because I already sent my applications...
  • Maharg123Maharg123 Posts: 4Registered User New Member
    He asked a question. You're contemptuously shooting down what you have assumed him to believe.
  • boysx3boysx3 Posts: 5,160Registered User Senior Member
    maharg--this thread is a couple of years old. The OP is by now safely studying at the college of his choice.
  • siliconvalleymomsiliconvalleymom Posts: 3,696Registered User Senior Member
    Looks like USC. Why are these ancient threads getting revived?