Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Listing Activities on Common App

cinolicinoli Posts: 16Registered User New Member
edited December 2005 in College Admissions
Ok, so I know that there are other threads about this on here, but I haven't been able to find full responses to these questions, and what can I say- I'm persistent :P

So could someone please explain exactly how to fill out the activities section of the Common App? Because those drop down bars are so vague,

1) How do you figure out/combine hours? Community service, for example; not only do I (and everybody else on here) have more than one club/organization to put down, the hours vary per year. I know that I, for one, volunteered a lot more my junior year than sophomore year... and yet, wouldn't putting down the hrws/wks/yr imply that these hours remained consistent each year? (therefore giving me a lot more hours than I deserve)

2) How are you supposed to list each and every club/activity/etc. you've participated in? I know you can use the Additional Information section (which I'm already using for something else, so already space is limited), but how would you go about doing this? Just make a list of everything, right in that box?

Aah, I am aware that this is a long message, but if aaanyone could help me out, that would be wonderful.

P.S. one more quick question- do you mention honor rolls in "Academic Honors"?
Post edited by cinoli on

Replies to: Listing Activities on Common App

• enysome1344enysome1344 Posts: 100Registered User Junior Member
    You could fill out the activities as well as you can based on the guidelines, and then either send in a resume by mail or have your conselor send your resume with their reports.
  • dressupandxdancedressupandxdance Posts: 229Registered User Junior Member
    I put the most important things in the top boxes. For the hours, I just averaged. For example, the beginning part of the marching band season is about 20-25 hours a week, and then it tapers off to only a few hours a week. So I counted all the weeks I participated, and sort of put an average of how many hours.

I also made a resume and put it in the "additional information" section, which basically went into more detail about what I did (honors bands, community service, etc.)