Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What is considered a good GPA and a bad GPA?

sheebeesheebee Posts: 10Registered User New Member
edited October 2013 in College Admissions
What is considered a good GPA? Or bad? Weighted & Unweighted answers please.
Post edited by sheebee on

Replies to: What is considered a good GPA and a bad GPA?

• dfree124dfree124 Posts: 3,713- Senior Member
    Good: 4.0

Bad: Anything less
  • GoodJobBroGoodJobBro Posts: 329Registered User Member
    4.0 is what you should aim for...
    3.9 is great, no worries for the most part
    3.8 is also good, what should be your lowest goal
    3.7 is good, but low for Ivys

Anything below is O.K. (3.4-3.6), but aim for anything above a 3.7

3.3 and down, should for the most part, be avoided.
  • LaggingLagging Posts: 667Registered User Member
    ^I'd agree with above. It depends on what schools you're aiming for, but a 3.8+ will put you in range for almost all schools.
  • StevenfStevenf Posts: 621Registered User Member
    UW:
    3.8-4.0 is considered solid, 3.9-4.0 is great, 4.0 is best
    3.6-3.8 is pretty good, but less than 3.7 is kinda low

W:
    Can't be determined since different schools do it different ways.
    Weighted really isn't a good measure because all schools weight differently. No one will be able to give you a totally accurate measure there.
  • sheebeesheebee Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    Okay, because my schedule is just really hard which I'm sure will be taken into consideration. I'm at a 3.6 unweighted right now, as a junior, and a little scared..
    Colleges do take rigor into account. A 3.6 won't totally take you out of the running for any schools, but it makes admissions to top tier schools a little more difficult. GPA is only one part of the application though, so don't worry too much.
  • sheebeesheebee Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    Alright thank you! :)
  • Classof2015Classof2015 Posts: 3,376Registered User Senior Member
    3.6 is perfectly fine for many good schools

check out this thread:
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/767966-where-did-your-3-0-3-3-gpa-child-get.html

Good luck
  • chasehollchaseholl Posts: 1,005Registered User Senior Member
    What is considered a good GPA? Or bad?
    Good: 4.0/4.0

Bad: 0.0/4.0

Let this be a lesson on good question-asking.
  • SansSerifSansSerif Posts: 597Registered User Member
    I know I'm new to the college search (my daughter is a freshman and I'm just trying to get up to speed) but really ... anything less than a 3.7 is "kinda low"??? Really????

The whole world doesn't want to get into Harvard. Reading these boards makes it sound like anyone who isn't an almost all-A student can't get into a decent college. I'm going to read that link about colleges for 3.0 to 3.3 students. But it seems to me that the attitude that a 3.6 is a mediocre GPA is what is making our kids overly obsessive, overly paranoid about every move they make and how it will look to a college admissions officer.

Most kids DON'T get a 3.7 or above GPA. That doesn't mean they are dumb, lazy, or without a bright future.
  • westie22westie22 Posts: 419Registered User Member
    I am with you Sansserif! Don't be afraid of any of the threads you see here, especially on this particular forum you see a lot of kids who just like to brag. My daughter is a 3.65 uw and a senior. She has been admitted to 4 very good schools so far and deferred from 2 great schools so she is still in the running for them. Just make sure your daughter has some great EC's and takes the hardest courses she can manage at her school, she will do great.
  • chucktaylorchucktaylor Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    so how r u doing since ur a senior now? im a junior and i am taking almost all honors and ap classes. i have high b's in my honors and 1 ap class but a low c in another ap. so i am a little bit lower than u were. did u get it together? if so, how did u do it? and where do u plan on going to college? was it hard finding a good place to go to?
  • BoundForBostonBoundForBoston Posts: 272Registered User Junior Member
    I would say 3.8-4.0, you're set for anywhere.

3.7-3.8 is great but iffy for top schools.

Below 3.65 is good for most schools but I feel like it really excludes you from a majority of prestigious top schools.

I have a 3.60 GPA, so although I don't have any feedback yet, I feel like I'm really disadvantaged, regardless of taking 15 AP/IB classes and being ranked in the top 2.5%.

Hopefully I'm wrong about the exact viewpoint of GPAs, but that's also assuming that those candidates have other qualities that match their GPAs.
  • tkim5574tkim5574 Posts: 90Registered User Junior Member
    I have a question. How does the conversion to 4.0 works?

I have weighted average of 98 and the scale is 100. What does that convert into in 4.0 scale system.