Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Getting into college with a low GPA

eventhorizeventhoriz Posts: 5Registered User New Member
edited October 2013 in College Admissions
I graduated high school in June of 2011 with a GPA of 3.04 (unweighted). As I applied to college, the issue of my low GPA was always in the back of my mind. I had a stellar application, but I was always a little anxious. As it turns out, I could have got away with a lot less worrying.

As of right now, I've been accepted to six schools, rejected from two, waitlisted at one, and am still waiting to hear back from seven.

Accepted:
University of Rhode Island ---(Psychology) [In-State]
University of Vermont
(Psychology) [Presidential Scholarship]
University of Connecticut
(Physiology & Neurobiology) [nearly full ride*]
Syracuse University
(Psychology) [$17,000/year]
American University
(Psychology) [waiting on financial aid package]
George Washington University-(Psychology) [Waiting on FinAid package]

Waitlisted:
Northeastern University
(Psychology)[huge surprise, both parents are alumni]

Rejected:
Harvard
Bowdoin

I'm still waiting for a lot of responses, but it's evident that I won't be without some possibilities.

I decided to post this because I know that applying to college is a pretty stressful time, and that stress is exponentially greater if you have a low GPA. I would like to invite anyone to ask me questions or spark a discussion. If I can impart any advice, feel free to ask. My hope is to be able to give a little confidence to anyone who needs it.

I'll fill in any details anyone wants to know about my record. I would have written them all down, but I'm not even sure if anyone will read this, let alone respond.

If you'd like to tell me why you think I shouldn't have been accepted to [x], please do. I'd love to try to convince you otherwise.
Post edited by eventhoriz on

Replies to: Getting into college with a low GPA

• sunshinefairysunshinefairy Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    I'd love to hear your other stats if you don't mind, as well as what YOU think got you in. Thanks!
  • detoididetoidi Posts: 193Registered User Junior Member
    You took a gap year? What have you done in the mean time? My senior schedule
    Is very weak compared to my peers, should I be able to get in into top colleges?
  • URIwannabeURIwannabe Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's awesome!!!!!!!! I have a GPA of 2.7 and URI is my top choice!!!!!!! Do you think I'll get in?!
  • eventhorizeventhoriz Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    @sunshinefairy:
    I skipped 9th grade after being homeschooled through middle school, as a homeschooler I took General Chemistry I & II and French at the local community college. I got OK grades, not great, but passing. I also was varsity debate + lacrosse, and got letters for both. I graduated top 25% (weighted).

I skipped a year in all of my subjects, but two years in math. I took as many AP classes as I could each year; my senior schedule was ~5 APs.
    I got 4 on AP Psych, 3 on AP Calc, 3 on AP Physics, 5 on AP English Literature and Composition, and 2 on AP US History (not reported).
    I was an NMSQT Semi-finalist, my SAT score was 2070 (highest scores together), my ACT composite was 33 (35 reading, 26 Math, 34 reading, 35 science).
    I got a 710 on SAT II english, 630 on SAT II Physics, and a 670 on SAT II MathII.
    I speak French and Italian fluently, and am currently taking a gap year through AFS in Italy.
    I am a Star Scout in the Boy Scouts.
    I was part of my school's political science club, also was on student government.
    I play the cello, the guitar, and the electric bass.
    My essay was very very strong; it was a pretty unique topic and very very personal, something that no one else but me could have possibly written. I'm also a pretty good writer, it's always been one of my biggest strengths.
    Also, my personal reccomendations were really great and from people who knew me well.

I think that what got me into college was the fact that I was a pretty unique applicant; I showed that I challenge myself academically and personally; going away alone for a whole year before college is both a pretty different experience AND (in my opinion) an indicator of the fact that I realized I needed some time before I went to college to decide on how to best spend my time.

@detoidi:
    You should definitely be able to get into colleges (I'm not sure about TOP colleges, but I also don't know anything about you :P) as long as your grades are decent, colleges definitely appreciate it when students challenge themselves

@URIwannabe:
    Yeah, I think you should be able to! Maybe not if you're applying for their pharmacy program though, that's a super strong department there :P

If anyone wants to ask something else/ask me to elaborate, feel free!
    Oh and quick update

Waitlisted @ Colby College
    self-serving bump
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 59,971Registered User Senior Member
    Your ACT 33 compensated for your GPA. However, it looks like your GPA prevented you from making NMF?? Is that right?
  • DraxulaDraxula Posts: 123Registered User Junior Member
    I am so glad I stumbled upon this post.
  • julia120julia120 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    OH MY GOD you are joking. All that stuff completely would make up for even a 2.0 gpa. or a 0.0 gpa. If you were nervous and didn't get into some places you wanted to then I have no chance.
  • baadisabaadisa Posts: 8Registered User New Member
    9th grade
    1 AP class
    2 honors classes
    Concert orchestra(play the viola)
    Volleyball

10th
    2 honors classes
    1 AP class
    Symphonic orchestra
    Cross country

11th grade
    2 AP classes
    1 honors class
    Advanced philharmonic orchestra
    Beta club
    Getting a job over the summer

12th grade (next year)
    3 AP classes
    1 honors class
    Chamber orchestra
    Beta club
    Cross country
    MCSA

Awards
    Best first year runner
    Cross country varsity letter
    4 star scholar student
    Orchestra letter

My GPA and rank is from the end of 11th grade.
    Gpa:3.389 weighted, 3.103 unweighted
    Gpa:88.556
    Class rank:75 out of 388

I was wondering if u could chance me for university of Georgia(dream school). I am about to talk, the ACTs in, September.
  • marieshinskamarieshinska Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    THIS IS INSPIRATIONAL. I have a 2.8 and have practically given up. Purdue and syracuse are my dream schools and I just know I wont get in even though I have a great essay/personal statment and ecs :(
This discussion has been closed.