Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Ranking the UC campuses selectivity from hardest to easiest....

CAchild3CAchild3 Posts: 226Registered User Junior Member
edited December 2004 in College Admissions
I am wondering which UCs are the hardest to get into and which UCs are the easiest to get into.....mainly comparing Davis and Irvine.

Reason for this, I am retaking the SAT IIs tomorrow and I have to choose whether to send my new scores to Davis or Irvine (other slots are filled for UCB,LA,SD) because my first SAT II scores were horrible.....480 Verbal (I kept erasing my damn friggin essay and second guessing myself) and 590 Math 2c (Just out of it because I was so flustered from my Verbal section.......and my third was 540 Bio (took Bio freshmen year and didnt remember nothing and no study so I am not going to retake it.)

Hopefully my other stats will play into account when being admitted to Irvine or Davis to offset my scores (ELC, 4.25 UC gpa, 1280 SAT I's, AP/H classes, college course, good essays). So which school between Davis and IRvine will look at my original SAT II scores more seriously and take them into account over my other stats?
Post edited by CAchild3 on

Replies to: Ranking the UC campuses selectivity from hardest to easiest....

• TheDadTheDad Posts: 10,210Registered User, ! Senior Member
    I don't have the figures at hand but they're close enough that you should make the choice between Irvine and Davis based on other factors, not selectivity. They're in the middle cluster with SB, after B/LA/SD and above R/SC.

I'm much more familiar with Irvine but from reading on the boards the past couple of years, Irvine and Davis are very different.

In terms of process, they're equally stats driven and will take the best of the SAT II's. UC is the unusual case where the SAT I scores have to be best from a single sitting, not mix-and-match.
  • flopsyflopsy Posts: 8,368Registered User Senior Member
    1. UCB
    2. UCLA
    3. UCSD
    4. UCD
    5. UCSB
    6. UCI
    7. UCSC
    8. UCR
    9. UCM

UCD average GPA: 3.91
    UCI average GPA: 3.91

UCD average SAT I: 1249
    UCI average SAT I: 1249

UCD admit percentage: ~55%
    UCI admit percentage: ~55%
  • TheDadTheDad Posts: 10,210Registered User, ! Senior Member
    Hey, thanks Flopsy. Nice to have the numbers behind my generalities.
    Even nicer that they agree. :)
  • Mr.BMr.B Posts: 1,914Registered User Senior Member
    I have known students who were accepted into Berkeley and rejected at UCLA. There is a lot of mystery left in this world and college admissions is mysterious. What are your reasons for applying to these schools? Have you had a good discussion with someone regarding "fit"?
  • CaliChineseGrlCaliChineseGrl Posts: 69Registered User Junior Member
    UCLA is known for putting high emphasize on EC's. That's what happen to my brother, he go into UCB but rejected by UCLA.

UCB is great for engineering, biology, and business. I am not sure about UCLA.