Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Neuroscience program admission

goongumgoongum Posts: 1Registered User New Member
Hello!

I am a senior at Indiana University Bloomington and have been reading lots of threads about admission into neuroscience graduate programs. But I've read mixed comments and am unsure about my current standing as an applicant for the coming Fall 2012 admissions.

I have done research in the chemistry department since the senior year of high school, so that is four years and will be working in a molecular neuroscience lab starting this summer until I graduate. I don't have any publications but have collaborated on a paper with other undergraduates and have been working on my own project that should be wrapped up this summer. I plan to write a thesis on this project next semester.

I have been to one conference and have had multiple presentations.

I have 2 LORs, one from current research mentor (which is excellent) and one from my chem prof. I will probably get my third one from my research mentor in neuroscience lab I will be joining this summer.

GPA is 3.633, GRE: 760Q/510V/4.5W (is it necessary for me to retake it?)

In graduate school, I hope to work in the field of molecular neuroscience (espcially signaling pathways) with a focus in pediatric diseases.

Some prospective schools I'm looking into are:
- NUIN at Northwestern University
- Washington University in St. Louis
- Yale
- Brown
- University of Chicago

ALSO >> does it help if my research mentors are alumni of the school I'm applying to? just wondering...

Thank you in advance!