Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

AP class as a sophomore?

Leaf21Leaf21 Posts: 12Registered User New Member
edited May 2012 in College Admissions
I am considering taking either AP Comparative Government and Politics or AP European History next year but have not yet made up my mind. I am taking all honors classes next year and the only way they allow you to take these classes is as an elective which means I would have no study hall and have to take the AP exam in May. The lack of study hall would mean I would have very little free time at home as well. However I know that colleges like strong schedules and if an AP class helps me I'm willing to make the sacrifice, but only if necessary. So my question is- how much would taking an AP as a sophomore really help me? Is it worth my time? My other option is one semester of study hall, one of intro to art.
Post edited by Leaf21 on

Replies to: AP class as a sophomore?

• rspencerspence Posts: 2,118Registered User Senior Member
    In my case, I took two AP's in sophomore year (AP Calculus AB and AP Language/Composition) and didn't regret it. However they were regular classes.

Even though most students take AP's (if any) in junior/senior years, there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking AP's in sophomore year. In fact, when I took Calc AB there were several freshmen in that class.

Take it if you really enjoy the subject, or if you want to obtain college credit.
  • WhaleWhaleWhaleWhale Posts: 254Registered User Junior Member
    It really depends on what type of person are you. Some people work better when they have more work to do. For example, I had less than zero free periods (it's complicated), but I had the highest GPA of all my years of high school.

I would advise you to take one or two APs related to your honors classes, if that is possible. It will probably be easier than taking another class, but you would have to discipline yourself.

Colleges want to know that you are challenging yourself, so taking an AP or an AP class will help you a bit.
  • yoamogatosyoamogatos Posts: 298Registered User Junior Member
    I would take one of those if you can fit it into your schedule, especially if other students at your school do that as well. You want to be competitive with what your school offers.

At our school, the top 15% or so of the sophomore class are taking at least 2 AP classes, top ~5% are taking 3 and a few are even taking 4 by taking an extra period before the regular school day.
  • WaverlyWaverly Posts: 2,669Registered User Senior Member
    Study hall is an American public school invention to warehouse kids rather than paying for more students. If you're headed to private colleges, your private school classmates, who typically comprise 30 plus percent of a class, will ever ave had a study hall.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 36,960Registered User Senior Member
    Re: #2

Why were the top students in math (calculus as high school freshmen or sophomores) put in AB instead of BC?

Re: study hall

If you can handle a full schedule of classes with no study hall, it generally does look better than having one fewer class with study hall.
  • Mom2MMom2M Posts: 1,996Registered User Senior Member
    Taking AP Euro as a sophmore is increasingly common at our high school. This year a little over 25% of the sophmores took AP Euro. Great teacher, generally high scores, not much stress. The school does not offer a study hall period.
  • Leaf21Leaf21 Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    Ok thank you guys for all your input, I think I am going to take one of them next year. Specifically for those who have taken the AP exams, which one is harder in your opinion? Also I'm taking honors US History next year so which one is the better complement?
  • Etuck24Etuck24 Posts: 1,353Registered User Senior Member
    If your school offers AP US Government - I would take that one. I took that my sophomore year, found it very manageable. It was also a plus because Civics/Economics is required sophomore year, so I had that first semester and AP Gov second semester and got a 4. I think American Government is one of the more useful AP classes for generally everyday life and being a well informed citizen, assuming you're American.

But anyway, I regret not taking an AP my freshman year, and a second AP my Sophomore year.
    Well actually my school does not allow students to take an AP courses until your junior year, the exception being AP Comparative Government or AP European History which can be taken only as an elective for sophomores. That is why I'm only taking honors US next year.
    Hey hate to bump it up but I really need to know- also just as a side note I found out I may be the only sophmore taking these classes next year. (scary) So will taking this AP legitamitly raise my chances? I was planning on taking quite a few aPs as a junior/senior anyway.
  • PancakedPancaked Posts: 2,947Registered User Senior Member
    Having an extra AP will help you get the "most rigorous schedule" checkmark from your counselor. If your rank is based on weighted GPA, having an extra AP can also be a huge advantage over your peers.

I believe Comparative Government is easier. AP Euro is tough and wouldn't be fun as your first AP in my opinion. Do some googling about how difficult each one is.