Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

ADHD and College Admissions

NewYork1994NewYork1994 Posts: 4Registered User New Member
Hi all,

I'm a senior with ADHD in the midst of applying ED to Cornell. I was diagnosed with it in Kindergarten, so I've learned to cope with it for the most part, but it was enough of a struggle that it has made me want to become a psychologist or psychiatrist so I can help other people to overcome their problems or disorders as well. I have a GPA of 3.73 unweighted and a 2240 on the SAT's and I'm an officer of 3 clubs, but my ADHD can still sometimes make my work take much longer for me to do. If I were to disclose that I have ADHD in my essay for Cornell, it wouldn't be to explain shortfallings, but would instead be to explain a personal reason why I really want to be a psych major. My parents think I shouldn't disclose because ADHD can be seen as a disability and a huge negative, but every guidance counselor at my school thinks I should disclose given my personal reasons and I think so too, but I'm still uncertain.

Should I disclose, or would a competitive school like Cornell look at ADHD as a disadvantage?