Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Unsure if I should send a visual arts supplement.

rdly2ttgrdly2ttg Posts: 23Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in College Admissions
I think I'm decent. There are definitely some media/technique themes in my portfolio, but no real thematic trends. Maybe portraiture, but not quite. I live in a large metropolitan area and have won several city/region art contests + three (four? five? honestly can't remember which pieces I brought while I'm writing this near midnight after my physics lab, really) maximum scores of 4 at VASE. Why I have no credentials in larger competitions? Registration fees. My school limits it to only 10 seniors, regardless if we are willing to pay the fee. And I'm only a senior this year, so...tada.

I'm certain that I'm among the better art students in my school district, and I HAVE developed a direction, albeit a vague one, in my portfolio. My teacher recommends sending a supplement. However, some schools (*cough*acertainschoolinPaloAltoandothersdarnyou*cough* seem so forceful about EXTRAORDINARY work. And I'm a bit hesitant about that.

I did attend a recent National Portfolio Day and talked to SVA and SFAI. Technique/media/style was a go, but they pushed for more personal direction. Pretty, but generic, basically. In the past two months, I taken that advice to heart, and I think it shows. But whether it shows enough?...

Not sure exactly what I want to ask, but any advice?

Sorry. This was kinda long. And I do abuse the poor ellipse. What did it ever do to me?
Post edited by rdly2ttg on

Replies to: Unsure if I should send a visual arts supplement.

• fogcityfogcity Posts: 2,406Registered User Senior Member
    Assuming that your school's art teacher supports you and is willing to write a recommendation to accompany your submission, and especially if you intend to take some art classes in college send in the supplement. It can only help.
  • rdly2ttgrdly2ttg Posts: 23Registered User New Member
    Thank you.