Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

SteveFromLISteveFromLI Posts: 11Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in College Admissions
My school has a different grading scale than other schools (A 100-93 B 92-85 C 84-75 D 74-70 F Below 70) and I wanted to know how a GPA here is weighed at a normal school with weighted and unweighted GPAs. Thanks.
Post edited by SteveFromLI on

Replies to: GPA Scale

• nimbooda14nimbooda14 Posts: 28Registered User New Member
    my school has the same system!
  • coola426coola426 Posts: 502Registered User Member
    sounds like a hard school.
  • SteveFromLISteveFromLI Posts: 11Registered User New Member
    It's a vo-tech school, and I've been taking college level engineering classes since Freshman year. I wanted to know if my low GPA here (2.34) would be any higher at a normal school.
  • WendeliWendeli Posts: 201Registered User Junior Member
    My school is 100-90 A 89-80 B 79-70C 69-60 D 59-F. It's really hard to judge whether you'll do better at a different high school or not because you'd take different classes with different teachers. Honestly though, if you're getting a majority of Cs in your class, even if it is 84-75, that's not a good thing. At my school you'd probably have a 3.3 GPA unweighted and if you'd challenged yourself to the hardest courseloads a 3.8 GPA assuming you got your Bs or Cs in the AP class. Don't worry about how your GPA compares to another school's GPA scoring though. Admissions officers understand the grading system for your school and will judge you with that in mind.
  • lilpuppy2lilpuppy2 Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    Same as wendeli. I think it probably wouldve been higher if you were on our system because and 80 here is a b while its a d on your system which is a pretty big discrepancy. but yeah it is hard to tell because we aren't focused on engineering so you'd have different college level classes if you took any
  • CTScoutmomCTScoutmom Posts: 1,315Registered User Senior Member
    I'm going to guess you would probably have similar grades at another school, because your teachers design their grading systems based on those scales. If they expect an average student to get a "c" they will design their tests such that the average score comes out to 80, while a teacher at a school where c=70-79 will design the test to end up with an average of 75.

They may have changed your grading structure to combat grade inflation, or more likely to reflect the fact that it is a trade school, and many licencing programs require 70 to pass. They want students to be used to needing a 70 to pass.