Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What is the best route?

hallya13hallya13 Posts: 101Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in College Admissions
I am applying to the University of Pacific. I don't want to do Pacific's commonapp, because I don't like commonapp's essay's. Pacific's own essay prompt is much easier for me. However, I have a problem. Pacific's own application requires that I submit ACT scores, whereas the commonapp does not. I totally bombed the ACT (22). What should I do?

Option 1: Go with the CommonApp and just man up with the essay's
Option 2: Just send the ACT score, but have an easier essay.

Background Info:
I received a letter in the mail giving me a priority as a distinctive candidate.
I want to major in Pre-Med.
SAT score: 1680 (580 540 560)
GPA: 3.82

Thank you
Post edited by hallya13 on

Replies to: What is the best route?

• CSIHSISCSIHSIS Posts: 3,410Registered User Senior Member
    "Essays" does not have an apostrophe.

Isn't the last section of the Common App "Pick your own topic" anyway?

If you can't write essays that you don't want to write, perhaps you aren't ready to go to college.
  • Crimsonstained7Crimsonstained7 Posts: 1,123Registered User Senior Member
    CSIHSIS, you're being a little harsh there. I myself would rather have done some of the non-Common App essays just because they're more creative and intrigue me more. I still did the Common App because it was simpler applying to so many colleges. I'd say just do the common app's essay, or pick your own topic.
  • hallya13hallya13 Posts: 101Registered User Junior Member
    CSIHSIS: Gee thanks. Just for your information, I typed this up in two minutes and did not proofread it. This is College Confidential, not a history paper.

Crimsonstained7: Thanks for your advice.
  • entomomentomom Posts: 23,253Super Moderator Senior Member
    Pacific's own application requires that I submit ACT scores, whereas the commonapp does not.

I don't understand, the CA doesn't dictate testing requirements, the school does. UPacific states that either the SAT or ACT must be submitted:

Test Scores

Whether you submit the CA or the UPacific application shouldn't make a difference in which scores you send.