Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Suggestions for safety schools for an above average int. student

AnarchistHudaAnarchistHuda Posts: 131Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in College Admissions
Well, I graduated valedictorian last year. But my school has a really retarded system of NEVER granting anybody perfect scores. So even though I am valedictorian, my overall GPA is 3.69
I graduated a quiet hard school, tho..
My weak stats are probably in the English part of SAT..
SAT: 1990
Math: 700
CR: 610
W: 680
Toefl: 106
Bio-E: 730
Math 1: 750
(Taking physics & math 2 in December)
My ECs are quiet strong: I volunteered at a school in a remote rural village for five months, I am a Rotarian, I had an internship at a software design company, and I campaigned a lot for a human rights movement in Egypt.
Also, I swam for the junior national team of my country for two years. Then u got injured and started training for crew. I actually row for a major club now, and I qualified in a boat that will row at nationals next January..
That is pretty much all of it..
I applied early to Dartmouth & WPI, but I am not having much faith I'll get in..with enough aid (I need lots of aid, really)
& my counselor keeps on telling me to add safety schools to my list, so can u guys suggest something for me??
Oh, and I am majoring in engineering. But I actually included a couple of LACs to my list, that have a 3-2 physics-engineering program..
So if u have an LAC in mind, don't hesitate to tell me!
Post edited by AnarchistHuda on

Replies to: Suggestions for safety schools for an above average int. student

• happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,383Registered User Senior Member
    How much can you pay? If you have financial need, there are no safeties here for you except those few institutions that guarantee merit-based scholarships to international students. Two of those have scholarship cut-off dates of December 1, so you need to apply TODAY.
    The University of Alabama
    UAHuntsville - Home
    There are several threads on the topic of guaranteed merit-based aid in the Financial Aid forum, read through those and see if you can find anything that works for you.

If your family can pay the full cost of your education, then you have many more options. Admissions will be slightly tougher than for a US citizen, but you can start with any of the college-matching search engines and see what comes up. You also should read through the information at EducationUSA | Study Abroad, Student Visa, University Fairs, College Applications and Study in the U.S. / America and follow the links to find the contact information for the counselors at the Advising Center closest to where you live. Those counselors are the real experts on college admission in the US for students from your country. They will be able to take a look at your grades and exam scores and tell you where you are likely to be admitted.
  • AnarchistHudaAnarchistHuda Posts: 131Registered User Junior Member
    This is funny!
    I am actually getting professional counseling from an EducationUSA center close to where I live!
    And as I said, my counselor told me to add safeties..I just don't know any "okay" schools in the US, because where I live, people are just familiar with ivies and MIT..
    So I was wondering whether u had a school in mind that would admit someone with my stats and also give her aid..
    && I know that my chances would dramatically go up if I could pay full. I had a friend with my stats and no big ECs who got into Stanford last year.
    Bump bump bump
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 62,384Registered User Senior Member
    There really aren't safety schools for int'ls that need LOTS of aid and don't have very high scores.

Safety schools don't give need based aid to int'ls, but some give merit. However, usually your scores have to be higher, AND your family would still have to pay a good bit.

How much will your parents pay?

I find it hard to believe that a student with your stats got into Stanford last year without some significant hook.
    My single mom could pay around $20000..but that is ALL she can afford.
    & Actually, it's not so hard to believe, because most top schools have their lower 25% with scores below 2000
    But those seats are usually reserved for legacies/athletes:students who pay full. That kid paid full.
    And a hook?
    I can hardly think of one..
    He won a YouTube contest once..but that's really the most significant thing he's done..
    Truly, if your family can pay USD 25,000 each year for four years, there are options. Subtract USD 12,000 from your budget ( to cover living expenses) and run the matching programs for the amount of money that remains, your major, your grades, and your test scores. If you cannot find anything because your budget is so low, wel then you know that you have no safeties here. It really is that simple.

The universities in Canada are less expensive than their peers in the US, and student visas there have more generous work permits. You may find a better option there.
    Just saw that your maximum is USD 20,000. Is that each year or all four years? If it is each year, look at the universities in Minnesota, and the Dakotas. Some have the same price for both in-state and out-of-state.

Are you a girl? Then look at the women's colleges. Both Smith and Sweet Briar offer engineering majors.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 62,384Registered User Senior Member
    What country are you from?

My single mom could pay around $20000..but that is ALL she can afford.

Is that total? Or per year? And, is SHE saying that or are you estimating that? You need to get a clear amount from her since she will have to show bank statements showing that she has the money in order for you to get your education visa.

If your single mom can pay $20k per year, then likely she has a very good income. If so, then the schools that give need-based aid may expect her to pay a lot more than $20k per year.
    Okay, so. Yes, I am a girl. And I looked at some women's colleges..I will take another look at the ones u suggested, tho.
    && that is what my mom said she could pay. She makes a bit less than $100,000 per year, but she has been saving up for my college expenses.
    & obviously, $20,000 is per year..
    Oh and I am from Egypt :)
This discussion has been closed.