Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What types of schools should I apply for?

karategirl2005karategirl2005 Posts: 100Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in College Admissions
I have good stats, but I do not think they are good enough for ivies/ MIT/ Stanford. I am a sophomore, and I want to major in something with math, but where I get to interact with people.

So... What schools would you recommend for me to try for, and do you know of any majors involving math that deal with people?

Class Rank: 1/321 (I expect to stay in the top 10)
GPA: all grades round up to 97 (so 96.5 and above)
Classes: all honors, will take AP next year
E.C: Drama club, key club, literary magazine, girl scouts (heavily involved in L.M and D.C)
Sports: Varsity in XC, indoor track and outdoor track. My 800m times are recruitable (about D1 walk on times).
Service hours: Will have about 200 or more by graduation. (big service project- gold award)
Awards: rookie of the year in indoor and outdoor track, and an award for keeping my GPA above 4.0

Thanks!
Post edited by karategirl2005 on

Replies to: What types of schools should I apply for?

• absurdwombatabsurdwombat Posts: 83Registered User Junior Member
    For service, don't focus on hours, but focus on what your role in this service is. Take advance classes (all that are offered if you're feeling advantageous) and also, focus on your SAT II scores (Math Level II). What are your 800m times? This might dictate how strong of a track program you could be a part of and hence where you should focus your search, if you want to run of course. You might want to look into Harvey Mudd College (California), but I believe they lack an athletic team. Also, don't let the stats of colleges tell you where you can and can't go. If going to a school like MIT or Harvard is your dream, then go for it.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,627Registered User Senior Member
    karategirl2005 -

Your profile looks good so far. Keep up the good work! Spend some time this summer getting familiar with the format of the PSAT so that you can do your best on it next fall. If you qualify for National Merit Scholar status as a result of that exam, there are colleges and universities that will have scholarships for you. Do practice versions of the SAT and ACT at home so that you can find out if one of those is better for you. Most colleges and universities will require an exam, but all of them accept both the ACT and SAT, so you really can just take the one that you are best at if you want to.

Is that the Girl Scout Gold Award? Some colleges and universities do have special scholarships for that, and it (like the Eagle Scout award) shows dedication and leadership. Another thing that colleges/universities like to see.

But truly the most useful thing you can do this year, is sit your parents down and have The Big Money Talk. They will probably whine and fuss and say that it is too early to think about this, but you must be strong and keep them focused. You need to know how much they truly are ready, willing, and able to pay for your education. You need to know how much they expect you to pay for from your own earnings and savings, and you need to know how they feel about you taking on some college debt. Pick a couple of colleges that appeal to you, and help your parents run the Net Price Calculator (NPC) at the websites. The numbers are often shocking, so have some soft tissues and adult beverages ready for them. When they pull themselves back together, pay a visit to the Financial Aid Forum here, and read through the threads on Guaranteed Merit-Based Scholarships. You have the grades and rank, if your ACT/SAT is good enough, there will be money out there for you.

Wishing you all the best as you start this process!
  • karategirl2005karategirl2005 Posts: 100Registered User Junior Member
    Well, my best 800m time (as a girl obviously) was 2:21 during my freshman year, and practice begins next week for indoor. I have recently started my gold award for girl scouts, so yes, I am referring to the girl scout gold award. I have discussed money problems with my parents, with their income I should be able to get FA and we have decided that if I can get into an ivy or MIT or Stanford, that I should just put on the debt, but after that, the school that I get the greatest offer on will be my choice (neither of my parents graduated college and they were both alchoholics before my birth, so they are clueless on this "college thing"). I just have no idea what schools to "aim" for. I have been looking around, but there are just so many schools that I get confused......
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,627Registered User Senior Member
    Be careful about taking on a bunch of debt even for an Ivy/MIT/Stanford. Graduating from one of those will not automatically mean a much better paying job than if you graduate from a less famous place. Fortunately, time is on your side. By the time you are applying to college, you will be able to find affordable options.
  • BeanTownGirlBeanTownGirl Posts: 2,726Registered User Senior Member
    Cool math - Careers in Math ( Mathematics )

As for schools, there are tons of schools with great math programs - small LACs, universities of all sizes, science/engineering schools etc. You may want to get a good college guide such as the Fiske Guide to start browsing.
  • absurdwombatabsurdwombat Posts: 83Registered User Junior Member
    Get your 800m to a 2:14 and you could easily be recruited for scholarship
  • intparentintparent Posts: 13,965Registered User Senior Member
    Be sure you finish your Gold Award prior to college app due dates (generally the earliest are in late Oct/early Nov). You want to be able to say that it is done & earned on those applications. Your stats look great, I think you will do well in the admissions process. Agree with the advice to get a Fiske Guide and look through it, it is a great starting point.
  • flyaroundflyaround Posts: 392Registered User Member
    Study hard for the psats so that you may be a national merit scholar. This is a one shot test that not only looks good but can open up institutional merit awards.